So, about 3 or 4 weeks ago, in my Windows 10 Insider Preview build, I started getting this message through Update & Security… “There’s a problem with getting preview builds. Your preview build settings need attention. Go to Advanced options to fix this issue.” I go to Advanced options and am greeted with the message… “Your security settings need attention to get Insider Preview Builds“, with an associated “Fix me” button”.
So I click the button and Confirm, then restart as requested. Same messages, same procedure, over and over, round and round in circles. Nothing gets fixed, still unable to receive new builds.
I spend hours searching for a solution online, try a myriad of suggestions all to no avail. Finally, I come across a solution which actually works – well it did for me anyway. Here’s how:
Step 1: Change a registry value:
What we are going to do here is change the value for the EnablePreviewBuilds entry from zero (false) to one (true):
- Bring up a Run dialogue box by pressing the Windows + R keys, type in regedit and then press Enter.
- In the registry editor navigate to and click on the following entry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability
- In the right hand pane the value for EnablePreviewBuilds will be shown as zero
- Right click EnablePreviewBuilds and select Modify
- Change the ‘Value data’ to 1 (one) and click OK
- The data value should then be the same as shown in the following screenshot:
- Close the registry editor
Step 2: Back to Update & Security
- Go back into Settings > Update & Security > Advanced options and click on the Fix me button
- A window should now open asking you to sign into your Microsoft account. Do so and you should now be back getting Preview Builds again
- Adjust the slider to suit your preference – Slow or Fast, and you’re all done.
*If the “Get Insider Preview builds” option does not correct itself immediately (mine did), try a restart.