Microsoft has a habit of hiding certain System Files and even File Extensions. Good or bad, it’s always debatable. I don’t like it. Here’s how to un-hide hidden files. This applies to all versions of Windows – *Folder Options was changed to File Explorer Options in Windows 10.
- Windows 7: Go to Start > Control Panel > Folder Options, then click on the View tab.
- Windows 8.1: Right click Start > select Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab
- Windows 10: Right click Start > select Control Panel > File Explorer Options > View tab
- Find the Hidden files and folders section and click on the dot by Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
- Uncheck the box Hide extensions for known file types.
- Uncheck Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).
You’ll get a warning; just click Yes.
Now you’ll see all the hidden files on your system. A noticeable one is going to be a desktop.ini file (or two) on your desktop.
Reverse the process to bring back the Default Settings.