I recently published an article concerning Windows 8 Start Screen and Shutdown options, including steps on how to access the Shutdown options built-in to Windows 8…. you can view that article in full here: Windows 8 missing Start button – What missing Start button!
As you can see, there are several readily accessible Shutdown menus included in Windows 8, certainly adequate for my own humble requirements. However, for those of you where speed is the need, here is a method to create one-click Shutdown and Restart shortcuts/buttons for both Desktop and Start Screen:
1) Right click anywhere on the Desktop and select New —-> Shortcut
2) Enter shutdown /s /t 0 into the location box (the last character is a zero, not an ‘oh’) —> Click Next.
3) Enter a name for the shortcut and then click Finish… a new shortcut will appear on the Desktop
4) Right click on the new shortcut and select Properties… a new window opens
5) In the 8220;shutdown Properties” window”; click on the Change Icon button under the “Shortcut” tab
6) You will now receive the following message… just click OK
7) Choose a suitable icon from the selection presented
8) Click OK and then in the Properties window click Apply followed by OK.
9) To add the new shortcut to the Start screen; right click on the shortcut and select Pin to Start
10) To add the new shortcut to the Taskbar; right click on the shortcut and select Pin to Taskbar
If you wish, you may now delete the shortcut from your Desktop.
**Use the same steps to create a ‘Restart’ button, except; when you get to the location field (step 2), enter the command shutdown /r /t 0 and in Step 3 choose a different name, ‘Restart’ would probably be best. 🙂
Actually, after creating the shortcuts myself for the purpose of this guide, I must admit it is nice to have those one-click options available.