I am sure that most of you know by now that if headers and footers are defined for your document, you can add a page number by simply editing the header or footer and then using one of the choices available by simply clicking the Insert tab of your Ribbon, and then clicking the Page Number tool, and selecting Current Position. The page number you select will be inserted at the location of your choosing.
If the default page numbers do not have exactly what you had in mind, you may want to add page numbers to your headers or footers yourself. You can make them as plain or as fancy as you like. For instance, you may want a page number to say Page 1 in a rounded rectangle with Copperplate Goth font.
Using Your Own Style
Follow the steps below to learn how:
- Place your cursor in the section of your document where you would like to add page numbers
- Open the header or footer area, by double-clicking within the header or footer area
- In the header or footer, key in the word Page followed by a space
- Click on the Page Number tool and then click Current Position. You can then select the page number format that most closely resembles what you would like
- Format your header or footer text as you normally would in your document
- Click Close