How To Fix ‘Item Not Found’ After Windows Update

I have my Windows Updates set to just notify me. I usually click on the Windows update icon, make sure only important security updates are checked and then just click to get the download and install started. Some recommend automatic download and install but I prefer it this way. It’s just a matter of getting into the habit, and we are creatures of habit.

I usually only have one problem that crops up every now and then, “Item not found“. So tonight, Oct 13 2015, the Windows update icon popped up and I went to Windows Update, when the updates finished downloading and installing I went through my usual quick test to see if the same problem pops up. Sure enough it happened again.


Around the 12 of July 2012, the first time I had to deal with this issue. I downloaded a bunch of updates that where marked as important system security updates (that’s the only ones I install). After which I experienced problems dealing with folders.

Every time I try to create, rename or move a folder I get an – Item Not Found error message. This item is no longer located in “C:\whatever the folder is”. Verify the folders location and try again. I Used system restore to go back before the updates were applied and everything worked fine. However, reinstalling the updates, 8 in total, recreates the problem.

I right click to create a new folder, then type in a name for the folder, then I press enter to complete and that is when the warning box comes up. I click on the Try Again button and it goes through as normal. If I try to move a folder into another, same problem. Trying to rename a folder, same result. Copying and deleting folders are the only two actions not affected – and this only affects folders, not other files like docs or programs.

I tried cleaning out the system using CCleaner, including the registry cleaner component, and ran sfc /scannow in a command prompt, I scanned the memory and the hard drive.

I finally submitted a question to Microsoft Answers and received a reply:

There were two solutions suggested. The first one required reinstalling the updates, one by one. The second one is what I tried first. Basically, it involves editing the registry to delete certain entries.

Click on Start, in the search box type regedit and hit Enter.

Registry Editor

Registry Editor

Browse or search for the following registry entries and delete them.











Once you have deleted these entries, restart the computer and check for the issue. It worked for me. This has happened a number of times now since I had this computer.


About the Author

Terry Hollett

Terry is a self-taught computer aficionado, who after being exposed to Windows 3.1 in the early 1990's devoured every book and magazine on the subject he could get his hands on. A published author with over 20 years' experience building and servicing computers for friends and family he started his first website in 2002 at Hit Any Key.

There are 9 comments

Comments are closed.