The latest Opera update renders my browser useless – can’t even go online. I only recently recovered from the last update. This is “strike two”. One more and you’re out Opera! “Firefox” would be my second choice. Anyway, they re-branded their browser as “Opera One”. I already had the installer downloaded from the last episode so I decided to run that.
It kinda made it better except The wallpapers didn’t show, had to adjust the interface size yet again, and when I clicked on a link in email, when it switched to Opera, I had to wait for the logo to load first. Every time. Another thing that kept popping up every time I opened Opera was this “intro page”. Originally, I would close this tab down. Online searching didn’t come across any answers so I decided to jump through the hoops of the “Intro page”.
On the first screen, click on “GET STARTED”.
Then select your Theme: Light, Dark, or System. Click on Next. Keep in mind that all these settings can be changed later in the browser settings.
Select your wallpaper. Click one of the six selections and then click Next.
Next, Ad Blocker, enable or not. For the record, I keep this disabled and don’t use any ad blockers. Next.
The next screen determines what apps appear in the sidebar. I only selected “Twitter”. Next…
Import your Data from a previous browser (bookmarks for example). I don’t know if it will import saved passwords or not. Next…
Finally, click on “START BROWSING”. This cleared up all the previously mentioned issues.
Here is the spanking brand new Opera One browser with DPI adjusted.
My customization includes changing wallpaper, importing my bookmarks, replacing speed dials with my own, dumping the search bar and weather gadget, auto-hiding the sidebar, and going to the settings to make a few more changes and installing my extensions.
Speaking of extensions, up in the top right-hand corner, right under the X that closes the browser, you’ll see a box shape with a purple strip next to it, click on it to hide or unhide the extension icons.
By the way, all of these screenshots are from my Gateway desktop and not my main Asus system. When I tried to update my browser on the Gateway, the browser kept crashing. After the third crash, I got the following error:
“Can’t open user profile directory, because you lack sufficient privileges. You might want to contact the administrator of this machine”
This is my backup system so I really don’t have anything set up in the browser so I decided to hunt down all of the Opera folders, delete them and run the full installer again. It worked but luckily I didn’t have to go to this extreme on my main system.
Note: Paths for Opera folders on my system. Opera GX will be found on the same path:
- C:\Program Files\Opera
- C:\Users\Terry\AppData\Local\Opera Software
- C:\Users\Terry\AppData\Roaming\Opera Software\Opera Stable
I’m hoping that all of these problems are because of the transition from “Opera” to “Opera One”, but if they continue…