We’ve talked about how useful Windows Home Server is in the past. We’ve also talked about how Windows Home Server protects your files by duplicating them on multiple hard drives to protect against failure. But my motto has always been, “You can never have enough backups!” If you’re Uninteruptable Power Supply fails, your motherboard dies a horrible death, or your server is stolen your only hope is a backup! Fortunately Windows Home Server has a backup method built-in!
How to Backup Your Windows Home Server
To backup your Windows Home Server you will need the following:
- A Windows Home Server
- Files on the server you really don’t want to lose
- An external hard drive with a compatible connection
- Connect your external hard drive to your server. This will usually be a USB connection, but could be Firewire or eSata.
- Open the Windows Home Server Console and click the Server Storage tab.
- Click Add in the toolbar. This will open the Add a Hard Drive Wizard. Click Next.
- Select the radio button beside Use this hard drive to backup files that are stored on your home server. Click Next.
- Select the radio button beside Yes, format this hard drive. click Next.
- Type a label for the external hard drive. Click Next.
- Click Finish to begin formatting the drive.
- Grab a refreshing beverage while Windows Home Server formats the drive.
- A summary will be displayed upon successful completion. Click Done.
- Click the Computers & Backup tab. Your home server will now appear as a computer available to backup. Click Backup Now.
- A new window will open showing the shares where your files are stored and allowing you to select which ones you would like to backup.
- After you have made your choices click Backup Now which will open a status window showing percent completed along with the share and file currently being backed up.
- When the backup is complete you will be presented with a summary page. Click Close to close the window.
- Return to the Server Storage tab and select your backup drive using the mouse. Click Remove in the toolbar.
- Select the radio button beside Temporarily remove it from my home server and click OK.
Note that the external drive is now shown as Not Added under Non Storage Hard Drives.
Note that the external drive now shows under Server Backup Hard Drives on the Server Storage tab.
Make your selections by using the drop down menu inline with the share you want to backup. In the above example I have chosen my personal share along with the Music, Photos, and Software shares.
There you have it! Your files are safely backed up on the external hard drive. You can unplug the drive from the server and store it somewhere safe knowing your files will be there if disaster strikes.