DCT has a brand new Apple TV streaming media player bundle, complete with HDMI cable, up for grabs. Yes, DCT readers have the chance to win this great prize absolutely free.
We asked Judy Novotny, who owns one of these devices and is DCT’s expert on all things Apple, to compile some facts about the Apple TV device, its features and options. If anybody knows more about Apple products than Judy, I’ve yet to meet them… here’s what Judy has to say:
Apple TV – Features and Options
Apple TV is a digital media player that can receive digital data from a number of sources and stream it to capable TV for playing on the TV screen. If you live in the Apple ecosystem (Macs, iPhones, iPads, etc.), you can stream content from your Mac or iOS device to your TV through Apple TV. Even if you don’t live in the ecosystem, Apple TV is still a great source for entertainment. While I admittedly do live in that ecosystem, I rarely stream content through a device. I can always find something to watch with Apple TV’s extensive menu of viewing options.
There are a myriad of entertainment options available on Apple TV. Please note that all TV programming options (Premium Channels, TV Channels, Sports, News, Children’s Programming) require a subscription through your satellite or cable TV provider except where otherwise noted.
- Movies and TV Shows
- Crackle – Subscription required.
- Netflix – Subscription required.
- Hulu Plus – Subscription required.
- iTunes Music
- iTunes Radio
- Beats Music
- Qello Concerts – You can watch one song performed from every concert available and over 30 channels of Qello TV for free. A Qello All-Access subscription gives you as much music as you want.
- Vevo – Music videos and live streaming concerts
- Premium Channels
- HBO NOW – A new feature of Apple TV, HBO NOW allows you to watch HBO programming with no satellite or cable subscription. The cost is $14.99 / month.
- HBO GO
- SHOWTIME ANYTIME
- TV Channels
- WATCH ABC
- Feeln – Bring back movie night with top hits and exclusive Hallmark Hall of Fame films.
- FOX NOW – Watch FOX shows on demand the day after they originally air.
- FX NOW – Watch FX shows on demand the day after they originally air.
- A&E – Select content available to all. Additional content available if you receive A&E as part of your cable or satellite TV subscription. Available only in the U.S.
- History Channel – Select content available to all. Additional content available if you receive the History Channel as part of your cable or satellite TV subscription. Available only in the U.S.
- Lifetime – Select content available to all. Additional content available if you receive Lifetime as part of your cable or satellite TV subscription. Available only in the U.S.
- PBS – Watch PBS primetime shows on demand for free. Available in U.S. only.
- Smithsonian Channel – Watch original programming for free.
- TED – Watch Technology Entertainment Design (TED) talks for free. TED a global set of conferences run under the slogan “Ideas Worth Spreading”.
- Children’s Programming
- WATCH DISNEY CHANNEL
- WATCH DISNEY XD
- WATCH DISNEY JUNIOR
- PBS KIDS – Free, on demand access to over 1,000 videos. Available in U.S. only.
- News Channels
- ABC News
- Bloomberg TV – Free
- CBS News – Free
- CNNgo – Select CNN content is available free. Live and full-length content requires a CNN subscription as part of your cable or satellite TV subscription. Available in U.S. only.
- KORTV – Korean TV. Some content is free but additional content requires a subscription.
- SKY News – Free.
- The Weather Channel – Free.
- WSJ Live – Free.
- 120 Sports – Free.
- ACC Digital Network – Free. Highlights, analysis, one-on-one interviews and the latest news for all major conferences.
- MLB.TV PREMIUM – With no MLB.TV subscription, get team schedules, real-time scores, stats and standings. Or watch games with your MLB.TV subscription. You can also replay any regular season game on demand from the archives.
- MLS Live – Subscription required.
- NFL NOW – NFL coverage personalized just for you. Breaking news, analysis, and more. Access on-demand game-day highlights and the largest digital library of NFL video anywhere. Access to the NFL Network and NFL Films Archives requires a monthly subscription. Apple TV users can sign up via in-app purchase.
- NBA.com League Pass – Subscribers can follow live or replay regular season games on demand. Nonsubscribers get real-time scores, full-season stats, standings, and video highlights.
- NHL GameCenter – Subscribers can watch live games in HD and you can replay a game anytime you want.
- Red Bull TV – Free.
- Tennis Channel Everywhere – Tennis Channel Plus subscription is also available.
- UFC TV – Subscription required.
- WATCH ESPN – ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, Buzzer Beater, and Goal Line. WATCH ESPN is free if you receive ESPN as part of your cable or satellite TV subscription from participating providers. ESPN3 is free for users with participating high-speed Internet Service Providers (ISPs).
- Willow – Cricket. Subscription required.
- WWE Network – Subscription required.
- Internet Sites
- Crunchyroll – Japanese anime and drama. Some content requires a subscription.
- Flickr – Access your world of pictures or explore billions of photos.
- Fusion – News, pop culture and satire.
- Tastemade – Food
- The Scene – Fashion, sports, culture and comedy.
- Young Hollywood – Celebrity-focused network for pop culture fans.
- YouTube – Video sharing.
- Yahoo! Screen – Video clips. Available only in the U.S.
- Video Sharing Websites
- AOL On – Also has original web series.
For specifics regarding each option, please visit Apple’s website.
Apple TV is compatible with high-definition TVs with HDMI and capable of 1080p or 720p. It is often likened to a hockey puck in size although I think it’s a little larger than that.
I’ve had Apple TV for a few years. We actually had two but my son confiscated one of them for his college apartment. We recently bought his girlfriend one for Christmas. It’s always a good entertainment option if you find the current TV programming to be lacking (which I do a lot).
So How Do You Win
We’d appreciate it if you’d take a moment and submit a comment telling us why you’d like to win the Apple TV streaming media player. However, submitting a comment is not required to enter this contest and will have no bearing on your chances.
For your chance to win, simply enter your name and valid email address in the spaces provided below then click Enter Contest. After your entry is accepted you will be presented with options to share the contest on Twitter and/or Facebook. For each person that enters the contest as a result of your share you will earn 2 extra entries as a reward!
Sharing the contest on social media is completely voluntary, but encouraged.
- To enter: simply submit your name and a valid email address.
- You must submit a VALID email address. We need to contact the winner so disposable email addresses will not be eligible.
- Additional entries may be earned by voluntarily sharing on Facebook and/or on Twitter.
- Shortly after the contest ends the winner(s) will be chosen at random.
- Winner(s) names will be posted on this giveaway page. Please check back here to see the winner(s) name announcement!
- The winner(s) will be notified by email at the email address used to enter the contest – be sure to use a valid email that you check regularly.
- Winner(s) must claim their license within 7 days. After the seven (7) day period, unclaimed prizes will be distributed at the sole discretion of DCT.
- Entrants agree to allow DCT to communicate with them by email using the address provided by the entrant when entering the contest.