Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_topic_old
Error Code 0x800CCC0F
Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
November 2, 2008 - 2:38 am

Soldat - That error message is almost always generated by a problem at the server end. Dave has kindly given me your email address in a private message...I will send you the screenshots of my account setup in Windows tomorrow....hopefully a comparison may identify something....if not, at least it will eliminate that as a possible cause.

cheers now....JIM

Chad Johnson
867 Posts
(Offline)
November 2, 2008 - 4:49 pm

This is all the Windows Mail website says about this error:
0x800CCC0F IXP_E_CONNECTION_DROPPED Connection closed

Which almost looks like a timeout issue or a server issue.

Out of curiosity, have you tried to use a different mail program and see if it's Windows Mail having issues? Thunderbird is a free alternative if you'd like to give it an attempt.

If you're using a Wireless connection, make sure you're connected to your Wireless network, not someone else's by mistake. Charter probably won't let you use their SMTP server if you're not on their network. (I've seen this happen, it's not as crazy as it sounds).

Have you contacted Charter to see what they say?

--zig

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
November 2, 2008 - 4:56 pm

Zig,
This started when I was using Outlook Express, then I went to Windows Mail, then to Windows Live Mail ----- no changes.
I am not accessing via wireless. This is all hardwired connections.
I have contacted Charter. All I can get from them is:
a. ports 25 and 110 are not blocked
b. pinging my modem was successful in terms of they can talk to it. (so they say)
c. Other than that -- no help offered.

I still have the suspicion that the problem lies with Charter's mail server and my account. Trouble is, I do not know what to ask to verify anything. When I describe the problem all they want to do is have me call MS. No help there.

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
November 2, 2008 - 9:49 pm

Hi Everyone - I sent the screenshots to soldat (via email) and they compared okay with his account settings....no joy there. When soldat replied with this information I responded with some further suggestions. FYI, here is a copy of what was said:

[i:155ieem6]"From your last post on the forum it sounds as though this has been going on for quite some time?
Please clarify exactly what equipment/devices (from Charter) you are using. Do you have 2 separate devices or is it one combined modem/router? This would be some useful information to post on the forum too.
If it is a combination modem/router then I suggest you go through the initial setup (configuration) process again. If you're unsure how to proceed, there should be no trouble with getting the people at Charter to step you through it.
If that makes no difference, ask the Charter people to go through the account settings in your mail program with you...again this should not present a problem. If they refuse to offer this assistance I would seriously consider changing ISP's. As you can imagine, this a very common 'help' request and most ISP's are only too happy to comply.

I'm pretty certain this will end up being a server issue, please keep us informed on any further steps or breakthroughs."

[/i:155ieem6]

cheers now.....JIM

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
November 2, 2008 - 9:58 pm

Oz,
Here is an update to your last post:
1. The modem from Charter is an Ambit - I know its MAC address also.
2. My router is a standard model - Linksys 2.4 Ghz
3. I have been through the re-initialization process countless times -- many power fluctuations here- so I know the process and right now modem and router are working properly for internet purposes. My only use of the wireless router is when I have to get the old laptop out while the wife is on the desktop.
4. One other thing to add -- although I doubt the significance of it --- I have Windows Defender running -- it came as part of the Vista package. I also use Webroot Spy Sweeper for my anti spam program. Any possibility either of these could be the cause of the problem?

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
November 2, 2008 - 10:30 pm

Soldat - Okay...boy, we are running out of ideas/suggestions.

Can't see Windows Defender being the culprit.....I have that enabled here (in Vista) and no problems with email. Webroot Spy Sweeper I haven't any personal experience of but, once again, doubtful that would be causing the issue.
You should have already disabled all security software; AV, firewall, anti spyware, everything...turn them [b:20y3ccsc]all[/b:20y3ccsc] off and then try and send mail. If your mail still won't go...does your router include a firewall? Try turning that off too.
If mail [i:20y3ccsc]will[/i:20y3ccsc] go after turning all security off....start enabling them again, one by one, testing mail after each until mail refuses to go again and that will be the culprit.

BTW: Just because internet connection is okay for browsing, etc. does not necessarily mean it is working for email.

cheers.....JIM

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
November 3, 2008 - 6:38 pm

Believe it or not !!!!!!!! Problem solved and tested for 2 days. Both email accounts are now able to send mail. Here is how I "think" we broke the code. After all of your suggestions were considered, and I mentioned Webroot Spy Sweeper. The next suggestion was take it off line and see if that made a difference. I did that and that proved to be the solution. Why -- to this day I still do not understand. I went into Webroot and found the tab labeled " Email attachment shield". I "UN- checked" that box and went to mail. Now am able to send and not get the error code.
The only way I can think of that this happened was when I reloaded all the software after having to F-disk the machine, at that time when I loaded Webroot back -- I did not change any default values and I should have.
That is the only thing I can come up with as a possible cause. I still need to reload an antivirus program, but after your reports on my program of choice ------ Trend Micro ----- I am somewhat gunshy about using it again. Charter offers a free antivirus and antispam program to their customers, so I thought about using that -- haven't decided yet.
All in all --- a tremendous thank you to all who helped me figure this out. Your assistance is most greatfully appreciated.

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
November 3, 2008 - 7:00 pm

Great...a result....Well done!! Something so simple, isn't that often the way.

I used Trend Micro for 2 years....found the 2007 version just too bloated and resource heavy so gave it the flick. I am using Avast (free) now, very happy with it. AntiVir is reputed to be top dog among the big 3 free Av's in terms of detection rates but it's updates are iffy and it doesn't include an email scanner....although lack of email scanning is not a huge biggy; AntiVir will still spring into action if you attempt to open an infected attachment or link to a bad site. AVG's latest free version seems to have gone backwards, lots of reports of slow downs, missing features and other issues.
Avast protects against most threats, including rootkits, updates are automatic and it really is a complete set and forget solution.

Thanks for letting us know,
JIM.

David Hartsock
1117 Posts
(Offline)
November 3, 2008 - 8:29 pm

Ahhhhh. The sweet smell of success!

BTW, you really don't need to run Defender and Spy Sweeper together, it's kind of redundant. Defender is easy to disable and it might speed things up a bit.

Chad Johnson
867 Posts
(Offline)
November 4, 2008 - 12:43 am

Congratulations!!

Sometimes it's the really simple things that get overlooked that end up being the culprit.

Glad you're up and running!!

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
November 4, 2008 - 4:29 pm

Again, a big thanks to everyone that offered assistance. I did want to ask what would you recommend on antispyware programs --- Defender is included but I already had a subscription to Webroot. Running both is redundant and not needed. Any thoughts on which would be the better and more efficient program to use? Plus, if I stay with Webroot, how to I turn off Defender in Vista?
Thanks to all.

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
November 4, 2008 - 6:03 pm

Soldat - Webroot Spysweeper maintains a stellar reputation...keep it at least until the current subscription expires. It's not so much that running 2 anti spyware apps with real time protection is redundant, rather that it can create conflicts and possibly diminish each ones effectiveness.

Windows Defender has been much maligned in the past for poor detection rates but has improved markedly since its inception and is now generally regarded as among the best of the freewares.

How to turn off Defender: Open Defender and click on the 'Tools' link. Now select 'Options' and scroll down until you see 'Administrator Options' and remove the checkmarks from 'Use Windows Defender' and 'Allow everyone to use Windows Defender', then hit the 'Save' button. You will get a notice telling you Defender is now 'switched off'.

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
November 5, 2008 - 9:37 am

Thank you. I will keep Webroot and Trend -- at least until the current subscription expires -- then re-evaluate based on needs and conditions. Anyone have more ideas on my other thread -- the problem with the screen freezing after a restart.
Again, many thanks to all -- you have been most helpful and this has been a true learning experience for me.

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 666
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
blutsband
cyberguy
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1942

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3179
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 29
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Scroll to Top

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!