Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_topic_old
Error Code 0x800CCC0F
soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
October 26, 2008 - 12:55 am

Running Windows Vista and using Windows mail for email services ---- my wife's account cannot send or receive mail ---- when trying to send she gets Error Code 0x800CCC0F. I looked this up and in MS support base & it says contact your exchange server administrator to see if they have to disable bandwidth throttling on the exchange server. I did that but got no help other than the advice to contact Microsoft.
This is a recent occurance that just happened today. It has no bearing on my mail account -- I can send and receive just fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do without having to call MS? Thank you.

Chad Johnson
867 Posts
(Offline)
October 26, 2008 - 1:00 pm

Ack. I hate email. So many points of failure, all of them involve the elusive "System Administrator"
Is this a POP3 account, or an Exchange account?

Is there more to the error message, or is it only reporting a code?

Can you set this up on another computer/login and reproduce the error, or is it tied to her account?

--zig

David Hartsock
1117 Posts
(Offline)
October 26, 2008 - 2:52 pm

To add another question to Ziggie's list - Who is your ISP?

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
October 26, 2008 - 6:53 pm

This is a POP3 account and she gets the same error message with that code at the end every time. It is tied to her account.

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
October 26, 2008 - 7:04 pm

Would it be of any benefit to use system restore and go back a couple of days to when her email was working correctly?

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
October 26, 2008 - 7:16 pm

Hi Soldat - It is my understanding that this particular error code will often be generated because of incorrect account settings, a corrupted profile or bad email in one of the folders. I would start by re-configuring the account from scratch and emptying all folders.....transfer any emails which are needed/wanted to a folder in 'Documents' via 'save as' under the 'File' menu and delete everything else.
Another common cause is AV or firewall settings, assuming your wife and yourself log on to different accounts....do you have the exact same security products using identical settings?

cheers.....JIM

Chad Johnson
867 Posts
(Offline)
October 26, 2008 - 7:57 pm

Also, as its a POP3 account -- if it has a web interface (webmail) can she still sign in there? It's possible her account is having issues at the server level.

--zig

David Hartsock
1117 Posts
(Offline)
October 26, 2008 - 8:03 pm

I threw in the ISP question because of mail timeouts. ISP's (internet service providers) have been blocking SMTP ports like nobodies business. If the ISP decided to start blocking a few days ago that would cause this, and the fix is usually a simple port change.

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
October 26, 2008 - 8:42 pm

Hey Zig and Dave - Trouble at the server end sounds most logical but wouldn't that possibility be negated by the fact that they are both using the same ISP yet only one account is being affected? Am just asking for my own edification.

JIM

Chad Johnson
867 Posts
(Offline)
October 26, 2008 - 10:12 pm

Well....maybe.

It's possible their accounts are on separate servers. It's possible that a configuration setting was applied incorrectly to one account and not the other. It's possible that the one account got flagged automatically by some program doing regular checkups.

A lot could have happened at the server level that could only affect some accounts, but not all.

Or, an Update on the client side could have goofed up the client thus making the whole server side thing moot.

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
October 27, 2008 - 12:15 am

Update-----
My ISP is Charter Communications. I do not know if they have changed port settings or not. If so, it affects only her account and not mine.
I did transfer all her mail to "My Documents" folder. Emptied all folders. Deleted the mail account. Logged out. Logged back in and re-created the mail account with POP3 and SMTP settings. No change --- same problem --- can receive but not send.
Yes, she could go to webmail and still send/receive off the server.
Thanks to all who made suggestions. I will keep trying what you recommend to fix this issue.

David Hartsock
1117 Posts
(Offline)
October 27, 2008 - 5:17 pm

[quote="soldat":113iai4l]Update----- My ISP is Charter Communications. No change --- same problem --- can receive but not send.[/quote:113iai4l]

Alrighty. Look in the advanced section of the email account settings... What port is used for SMTP (outbound email)?

Two things:
1. Look for a setting that says something to the effect of "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication". That needs to be checked. There is [b:113iai4l]probably[/b:113iai4l] a secondary setting and you need to check the option "Use same settings as my incoming server". This may be absent in Windows Mail - I haven't used it. The purpose of this is some servers are set to not send email unless they receive the account login information. This is a SPAM prevention method to prevent unauthorized access to their server.
2. If the SMTP port is set to 25 try changing it to 587. (A lot of ISP's block port 25 to prevent spam)

Edit - Use same settings as my incoming server is the default setting in windows mail. If you go to tools>Accounts you can edit the account by selecting properties. Here is where you would find the Advanced settings normally found in outlook.

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
October 27, 2008 - 8:57 pm

SMTP was set for port 25 and I changed it to 587. POP3 is on port 110. Did not change that. There is a check box for indicating the server requires a secure connection (SSL). I did not check that. Should I? Went ahead with the SMTP port change and now the server times out after 60 sec. and asks me if I want to wait longer for a response.
OBTW - when I first logged into mail today and tried to send a message, I got the same error today that my wife has been getting for the past 3 days. This is new for me. Just happened today. Then I went to this site - got your suggestion- and applied it. No changes so far. No out going mail.
Would system restore be a viable option?
Thanks.

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
October 28, 2008 - 1:24 am

I took additional advice and installed Windows Live Mail. Installation went smoothly. Tried to send a message to my daughter and got the same error code as before. If Trend Micro is the culprit (assumed) how do I disable mail screening in it. I have opened it many times but have not seen anyplace to make that action take place. Your suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you.

David Hartsock
1117 Posts
(Offline)
October 28, 2008 - 5:31 am

When it rains, it pours...

Even though you can't send mail you are making progress. By installing the new program you have definitely narrowed down the culprit to either settings or another program blocking access.

You were correct in your earlier email, you do not need SSL checked. As far as Trend Micro goes I have never used it, but there should be an option to disable the firewall portion. Usually a right click option on the icon in the task bar. Disable it (temporarily) and try to send mail. You may also try going back to port 25 for SMTP, though there is a lot of evidence that Charter blocks port 25 (at least in parts of the US if not all).

Pop: pop.charter.net
SMTP: smtp.charter.net
Outgoing port (SMTP): 25 or 587
Incoming port (POP): 110

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 664
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
travishead60
Gohighlevelsnapshots
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1941

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3177
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 38
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Scroll to Top

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!