Most of us are aware that Microsoft’s built-in antivirus started life as a bit of a joke but through several iterations, it has now become generally regarded as being among the best antivirus solutions available… free or otherwise.
Malwarebytes Antimalware Package Deal
I recently received an email message from Malwarebytes offering a package deal with its antimalware – purchase a 12-month subscription for Malwarebytes Antimalware Premium and receive 6 professional applications for free.
This is the first time I’ve come across this type of package deal from an antivirus vendor. The package includes:
- Malwarebytes Privacy VPN: next-gen VPN helps protect online privacy, shields data even on public WiFi, and delivers speeds way faster than traditional VPNs
- 1Password: premium password manager
- NordLocker: premium cloud storage solution
- Snagit: professional screenshot capture and editing tool
- Hotspot Max: turn a PC into a real Wi-Fi hotspot or act as a Wi-Fi repeater
- TextExpander: store common phrases, signatures, and even forms in TextExpander, then access anywhere you type with just a few keystrokes
*More information available at Malwarebytes Partner Bundle
The majority of these bundled extras involve one-year licenses only. Regardless, the point is that an antivirus vendor offering deals of this kind is, in my experience, unprecedented and perhaps indicative of a downturn in sales/revenue. One might even say such a move smacks of desperation.
I’ve said previously that Microsoft Defender has to be impacting on premium antivirus sales. The mere fact that Microsoft Defender is already built into Windows is a huge advantage. Factor in that it’s also free and equally as effective as premium antivirus solutions and it’s a no-brainer.
While I appreciate that maintaining antivirus solutions to always protect against the latest threats must incur ongoing expenses for the vendors, it is my opinion that premium antivirus solutions have become way too expensive, especially in these harsh economic times when people have more important things on which to spend their money.
Please feel free to share your thoughts via the comments.