Table of Contents
Perhaps you are writing the great American novel – or you just have a very long document. Either way, you might want to create a Table of Contents (TOC) for that document.
The easiest method for creating a TOC is using heading levels that are defined by Word Styles.
Follow the steps below to learn how:
- Place your cursor where you would like your TOC to appear
- Display the References tab of your Ribbon
- In the Table of Contents group, click Table of Contents
- Select Table of Contents to display the dialog box
- Be certain that the Formats drop-down is set to From Template
- Using Show Levels, specify how many heading levels should be included in your TOC
- Click OK
Remember, this method creates a TOC based on heading levels in your document. That means your document must use heading styles throughout.
I know a lot of you shy away from using Styles, but believe you me, once you see how much easier they make your life, you will use them always!