Register Lost password?
sp_topic_old
Reformatting a Compaq presario 1919 XP home
kit2hugh
23 Posts
(Offline)
August 2, 2011 - 3:00 am

Hi again.

I have offered to help a freind who cannot afford the $250.00 to reformat a Compaq computer.

Well what I would like to know is what causes this computer to be so slow. It boots up ok then when all the icons are up and the icons in bottom left are all there you click on a icon and it takes and age to open. and opening say control panel or my computer is like it is on dial up. If you keep going it does get better the longer you try.

I was thinking it was the RAM it is running on 512 on XP Home. I tried to fit my ram off my old computer which says PC 3200 this one says 512mb Rx8 PC2 4200 V-44412. Does Compaq have its own RAM as my ram is about 1/8th of an inch out to fit.

I did the system restore through Compaq system which made it better last night then this morning tried again and could not get in at all. Ok again tonight.

If you have any clues for me I would appreciate it.

Looking forward to your next newsletter

Hugh

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
August 2, 2011 - 5:56 am

Hey Hugh,

$250.00 to reformat a hard drive???? WOW, that sounds excessive.

[quote:2v6rl15d]Does Compaq have its own RAM [/quote:2v6rl15d]
No, but RAM needs to be compatible with the rest of the hardware in a particular computer; motherboard, etc. Sounds to me like you were probably attempting to fit DDR RAM into the slots on a DDR2 mobo.

[quote:2v6rl15d]Well what I would like to know is what causes this computer to be so slow.[/quote:2v6rl15d]
That's a tough question to answer precisely, especially with the limited amount of information we have so far Hugh. XP should run okay with 512MB RAM but it depends on so many variables. Most likely possibilities include:

*Serious malware infection
*Poor maintenance; lack of hard drive cleaning, defrag, etc.
*Too many programs auto starting with Windows - too many associated background processes running.
*Software conflicts.

Or any combination of those elements.

I would start off by eliminating malware as a possible cause. Run full/thorough scans with any resident security software plus with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SuperAntiSpyware.

Does your friend regularly use any programs such as CCleaner for cleaning up temporary files, etc? If not, download and install CCleaner and run that.

Next I would be looking at all the programs auto-starting with windows plus any associated processes running in the background. Disable all those which aren't deemed absolutely essential. If you need any help with that, just let us know.

Also, make sure your friend has only one real time anti-virus program installed/running.

In the meantime, could you please advise the following; type of CPU (processor), total capacity of the hard drive plus amount of free space available. Plus supply a list of all installed security software.

Although adding more RAM is generally considered a bit of a cure all in these situations Hugh and would most likely help improve the situation, we don't really want your mate spending good money before we ascertain for certain that additional RAM is definitely the answer, and not a waste of money; especially if we can maybe fix the problem by other means which are going to cost nothing.

Cheers.....Jim

Flying Dutchman
278 Posts
(Offline)
August 2, 2011 - 9:15 pm

Hi Hugh,

[quote:3roq3i2s]I did the system restore through Compaq system[/quote:3roq3i2s]
What exactly do you mean by this? Did you do a restore to factory settings? If yes, you should know that factory settings usually include a lot of crap auto starting with Windows and running in the background.
[quote:3roq3i2s]this morning tried again and could not get in at all[/quote:3roq3i2s]
Do you mean Windows didn't load?

In general, 512MB are the absolute minimum for Win XP, i.e. it wil run but don't expect great performance. But as Jim already asked, please provide specs of the machine. Also, are we talking about a desktop or a notebook?

[quote:3roq3i2s]$250.00 to reformat a hard drive???? WOW, that sounds excessive.[/quote:3roq3i2s]
Excessive is an understatement, people do upgrades with that kind of money.

I am human

kit2hugh
23 Posts
(Offline)
August 2, 2011 - 11:50 pm

Re: Reformatting a Compaq presario 1919 XP home
?by ozbloke

kit2hugh
23 Posts
(Offline)
August 3, 2011 - 12:01 am

Hi Hugh,

I did the system restore through Compaq system

What exactly do you mean by this? Did you do a restore to factory settings? If yes, you should know that factory settings usually include a lot of crap auto starting with Windows and running in the background.
[color=#FF4040:3vy9hakn]
I went into Compaqs System Restore without formatting to try it out, if I do not solve it I will do a complete system restore to factory settings, just a tad nervous of Compaq system[/color:3vy9hakn]

this morning tried again and could not get in at all

Do you mean Windows didn't load?
[color=#FF4000:3vy9hakn]
Yes Windows loads perfectly bur no icon or start up item works when clicked on[/color:3vy9hakn]

In general, 512MB are the absolute minimum for Win XP, i.e. it wil run but don't expect great performance. But as Jim already asked, please provide specs of the machine. Also, are we talking about a desktop or a notebook?
[color=#FF4040:3vy9hakn]
When I checked in System folder it says it is running on sometheng like 420mb[/color:3vy9hakn]

$250.00 to reformat a hard drive???? WOW, that sounds excessive.

Excessive is an understatement, people do upgrades with that kind of money.

[color=#FF4040:3vy9hakn]Yes thats why I am having a go, just dont know the Compaq system without Windows disc just the manufacturers recovery discs[/color:3vy9hakn]

Thanks

Hugh

David Hartsock
1117 Posts
(Offline)
August 3, 2011 - 6:39 am

Hugh,
Was the computer ever working at an acceptable level?

With the computer running normally does the Windows key (little key with windows logo to left of keyboard) work to open the Start Menu? Yes, may have a mouse issue. No? Restart in Safe Mode by holding down F8 key as the computer is restarting. Is it mouse more responsive? Yes, probably programs starting with Windows and/or malware causing the problem.

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
August 3, 2011 - 6:31 pm

Hugh,

*Do not attempt a 'Restore to Factory Settings' at this stage. That option will delete all installed programs and personal data.
*Do not attempt any 'System Restore' at all. If the computer is infected then it is highly likely that malware is embedded in saved restore points. We'll deal with that at the end, if/when we get the machine running properly.

[quote:1qp4t9x0]Avast, Spybot and Adadaware[/quote:1qp4t9x0]
Do you mean Ad-Aware? Is it the latest version of Ad-Aware? Because that is actually an anti-virus now with real time protection and will conflict with Avast. If you are unsure at all, just completely uninstall Ad-Aware altogether and see if that fixes the problem.

If it doesn't fix the problem:

[quote:1qp4t9x0]desk top comes up fine but as soon as you click on a icon nothing happens. When I put the cursor (1st) on start to get to My computer a bootle comes up and nothing works. I do not know if I leave it, it will come to life????[/quote:1qp4t9x0]
I know exactly what you mean mate. If you left it for long enough it probably would eventually complete the operation. We need to find out why it is taking so long and if there is anything getting in the way.

Complete the malware scans and cleanup with CCleaner first and then report back here and let us know how it went.
(You might like to heed Dave's advice too and try a different mouse....see if that makes any difference at all.)

We can then take a look at the programs auto-starting with Windows and the background running process. We'll step you through the procedure mate...no problem.

You have told us that the internal hard drive is 80GB, that would be the total capacity. Could you also tell us how much free space is available please mate?

Cheers....Jim

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 664
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
travishead60
Gohighlevelsnapshots
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1941

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3177
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 34
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Scroll to Top

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!