Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_topic_old
Word 2007 - list styles don't show in template
Bas
2 Posts
(Offline)
May 25, 2010 - 10:00 am

I'm trying to create a word 2007 template with restricted styles (password protected) for my team to get more consitent documents for our customers. The problem is that all the styles I want them to be able to choose from are available (paragraph, character, etc) when I protect the document, except from the list styles (both standard and customised). The only resolution I found this far is to unprotect the document, but that also allows my team to choose and create any style they personally like which is exactly that I'm trying to avoid here.

Hopefully someone knows the answer, since I've already "wasted" many hours trying to find the reason/solution!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Carol Bratt
67 Posts
(Offline)
May 25, 2010 - 10:11 pm

You can Limit Formatting to a Selection of Styles in version 2007 of MS Word.

To limit formatting to certain styles, in the [b:2n1xs097]Review [/b:2n1xs097]or [b:2n1xs097]Developer [/b:2n1xs097]ribbons, select [b:2n1xs097]Protect Document | Restrict Formatting and Editing[/b:2n1xs097], which will display the Restrict Formatting and Editing pane.

Then click to place a check next to [b:2n1xs097]Limit formatting to a selection of styles[/b:2n1xs097].

To select which styles, click [b:2n1xs097]Settings[/b:2n1xs097].

The [b:2n1xs097]Formatting Restrictions [/b:2n1xs097]dialog box will appear. It will provide the following options:

[b:2n1xs097]Checked styles [/b:2n1xs097]- Place a check next to each style you want to allow. Remove checks for styles you want to disallow. Note that the styles listed may be limited based on settings in the Manage Styles dialog box.

[b:2n1xs097]Recommended Minimum [/b:2n1xs097]- If the list is too inclusive, click Recommended Minimum, and then add or remove checks as necessary.

[b:2n1xs097]None [/b:2n1xs097]- If the style list is way too inclusive, then select None, and place a check next to just those you want to allow.

[b:2n1xs097]All [/b:2n1xs097]- If the style list is way too restrictive, theck click All and remove the check next to those you want to disallow.

[b:2n1xs097]Allow AutoFormat to override formatting restrictions [/b:2n1xs097]- If AutoFormat's rules and practices are sufficently rigorous for your purposes, click to allow this option.

[b:2n1xs097]Block Theme or Scheme switching [/b:2n1xs097]- Select this option to limit formatting to the currently applied theme or scheme.

[b:2n1xs097]Block Quick Style Set switching [/b:2n1xs097]- Select this option to use style definitions from the current document and template only.

When you are ready to proceed, click [b:2n1xs097]Ok [/b:2n1xs097]in the Formatting Restrictions dialog box. MS Word next displays a box that tells you that the document may contain formatting or styles that are not allowed and will ask you if you want to remove them.
Click [b:2n1xs097]Yes [/b:2n1xs097]if you want disallowed styles or formatting remomved. Note that if any styles are removed, text will be reformatted using Normal even if the default paragraph style is set to something else.

When you are ready to proceed, click [b:2n1xs097]Yes[/b:2n1xs097], [b:2n1xs097]Start Enforcing Protection [/b:2n1xs097]in the [b:2n1xs097]Restrict Formatting and Editing [/b:2n1xs097]pane. Optionally, you can password protect your formatting restrictions. Even is the level of protection is not as strong as rights management, it is still better than nothing.

Click [b:2n1xs097]OK [/b:2n1xs097]when you are finished.

With formatting restrictions in place, a number of formatting tools, commands and keystrokes are grayed out as unavailable. Notice that the Change Case formatting tool is not grayed out. This is because case is not formatting; it is simply a choice of which characters to use.

I do hope this has been helpful to you.

Bas
2 Posts
(Offline)
May 27, 2010 - 10:00 am

Hi Carol,

Thanks for your detailed and clear reply!

What you describe is what I found out myself already, the specific issue I have is that the list styles (bullets, numbered, etc.) don't show in the available styles in a template with restricted styles (password protected). All the other styles that I allow are there, except for the list styles that I've allowed ...

Any idea what the reason may be (probably something silly that I've been overseeing )

Thanks, Bas

Carol Bratt
67 Posts
(Offline)
June 2, 2010 - 2:25 pm

Any chance you can send me the document so I can see it?

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 664
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
travishead60
Gohighlevelsnapshots
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1941

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3177
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online: jacksalvator
Guest(s) 36
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Scroll to Top

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!