Cant access URLs from Word 2003
shobha
92 Posts
(Offline)
May 16, 2010 - 3:33 am

Hi
This is a new problem since last month.
I have XP pro, and Office 2003.
I have always been able to access stored URLs in Word Documents By CTRL + Click.
But Now I am getting the message
"The operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator. "
As I am the only one using this I dont know who to contact.
What Can I do to rectify ?
Thanks in Advance.
Shobha

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
May 16, 2010 - 7:57 am

Hey Shobha - In the circumstances you describe I would say this is an Internet Explorer issue.

Have you installed and then uninstalled any other browsers of late....maybe Chrome or Firefox?

Try this simple possible solution first: Reset Internet Explorer as the default browser - navigate to [b:vbe8eptx]Control PanelAdd and Remove ProgramsSet Program Access and Defaults[/b:vbe8eptx]. Under "Choose a default web browser", select the 'Internet Explorer' option and click [b:vbe8eptx]OK[/b:vbe8eptx].

If that does not do it, please post back. There are other slightly more complicated steps we can advise you on.

Cheers....Jim

Chad Johnson
867 Posts
(Offline)
May 16, 2010 - 1:13 pm

Just to clarify, this is NOT a work / corporate computer, right?

grr
211 Posts
(Offline)
May 16, 2010 - 8:25 pm

Shobha,

Adding to what have been asked do you have any of the following installed:

1. Spybot
2. MBAM

What antivirus/internet security software is installed?

Also is the problem with all the word documents which used to work fine previously, or with some?

shobha
92 Posts
(Offline)
May 18, 2010 - 8:38 am

Hi folks
1. This is my personal home PC and I am the only one using it. ( Apart from my grandson who plays his games)
2. My Anti virus is Avast 5.05. I also use Glary utilities, Free Advance System Care and Ccleaner everyday after startup. Yes all three, one after another. I do not have an anti spyware as I tried some and there were always issues with existing software.
3. My default browser from last many years is Firefox, I also use Chrome . IE is only used for those sites which dont work for other browsers, specially my bank! I have not installed any new browser lately. With Add ons, I find Firefox does not need any extra anti spyware.
4. It is only Word which is having this problem. I can access the URLs thru Power point and PDF files ( Foxit).
5. I have just realized that my HD was reformatted last month by my computer man. ( It got corrupted).It probably started from then. As I don't always use word to access them, maybe I did not notice it before. As he is out of town right now, I am waiting to catch him. Could it be that ? If it was an office problem even power point should not work? Anyway I have tried repairing office and it did not work.
Thanks for the support. I really appreciate it. .
shobha

shobha
92 Posts
(Offline)
May 18, 2010 - 8:44 am

Hi folks sorry,
instead of preview hit submit
well I tried making IE default browser.Nada. Same problem.
Also, the problem is will all word files not specific ones.
thanx once more.
shobha

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
May 18, 2010 - 6:47 pm

Hey Shobha - I'm sorry to hear that simple fix did not work for you. I'm afraid most other possible solutions are much more complicated and often involve editing the registry.

You are not alone with this problem, there are plenty of reports of the same thing happening to many people. There does not appear to be a common solution, something which works for one user may not work for another.

It may be best to hand this over to your computer man, it is a fairly complex matter. I suggest you have a read through this topic and see for yourself:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/For ... b98109b5a6

Cheers...Jim

Chad Johnson
867 Posts
(Offline)
May 18, 2010 - 8:02 pm

[quote="daniweb":16ra3u3e]Type gpedit.msc in run. Browse through the User rights and Local Policy section and see if you have had disabled an of such related topics. Topics in sense the security policies that deny or allow links of any kind be it internet explorer/ Outlook etc. see and find for such thing. I'm really unable to help you out because I'm not a Vista User. Please bear with my vague directions.[/quote:16ra3u3e]
I pulled the above from [url:16ra3u3e]http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread84492.html[/url:16ra3u3e]..

A word of caution, while its tough to do permanent damage using gpedit, you can make things go wonky if you change the wrong things. I recommend only changing something if you know what it's going to do.

Two things I'd try before this though:
1) Create another user account on the computer and grant it admin access (temporarily). Log in with it and see if the problem follows you.
2) Run a scan with Spybot ([url:16ra3u3e]http://www.safer-networking.org[/url:16ra3u3e] and see if anything odd appears.
3) (Bonus!!) In Outlook (yes, outlook), go to Tools-Options and click the Security tab. change your security to a lower level, click ok and try again. Can you click links in Outlook?

If you try gpedit, look through the settings and look for anything that does not say 'Not configured'. By default, there would be no policy to prevent links from opening.

angelicscar
4 Posts
(Offline)
May 18, 2010 - 11:08 pm

Hello,

just a simple solution, have you tried re installing MS Office software? You may try reinstalling then inform us if this work for you

shobha
92 Posts
(Offline)
May 19, 2010 - 3:27 am

Hi folks
Thanks to all for helpful suggestions.
Thanks more to Ziggie
Changing accounts seems to work! I can access now from word. I AM relieved. I dont want to mess up with the registry.
BUT! how do I import my desktop into the new account? Firefox seems to think it is a new account and wants to import from IE when all my book marks are already there in previous desktop. How to do it ?
Thanks
shobha

Chad Johnson
867 Posts
(Offline)
May 19, 2010 - 8:47 am

Well....if Firefox is all you're worried about, look for an add-on called FEBE (Firefox Environment Backup Extension) [url:1fl4d87w]https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2109/[/url:1fl4d87w]

You can backup all of your custom firefox stuff - add-ons, themes, bookmarks, passwords, etc, etc. Back it up from your old account to a common place (Shared Documents), switch to your new account, Restore.

If its more than Firefox, we'd be best served to clear up the issue on your old account by deleting the settings for Microsoft Office (so all you have to re-setup is Office).

shobha
92 Posts
(Offline)
May 19, 2010 - 9:53 am

Thanks Ziggie
Its taken me the whole of today but now i am back on track. Thanks for the link about FEBE. I exported the book marks and imported them in the new profile. now will install all the add ons.
Thanks folks It is a GREAT forum. God Bless you all.
shobha

grr
211 Posts
(Offline)
May 19, 2010 - 10:37 am

Nice to know shobha that things are working for you.

[i:18h7xf9k]May be you now need a little less of cleaning [/i:18h7xf9k]

[quote:18h7xf9k]I also use Glary utilities, Free Advance System Care and Ccleaner everyday after startup.[/quote:18h7xf9k]

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 666
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
blutsband
cyberguy
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1942

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3179
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 37
Currently Browsing this Page:
3 Guest(s)
Scroll to Top

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!