August 11, 2011
If you run a small business, you may be operating its network like you operate your home network. You don't want to do this with all of your critical business information at stake. Here's a security baseline for small business:
* Physical access to servers, backup, and network equipment is restricted and controlled.
* Backup power sufficient to allow for graceful shutdown of servers is in place.
* The local network is isolated from the Internet by a hardware UTM device, firewall, or NAT router.
* If wireless access is in use, security is applied, preferably WPA or WPA2 with AES encryption.
* File servers are protected by appropriate anti-malware applications.
* Mail servers are protected by anti-spam software or this is implemented at the gateway.
* Password policy requires strong passwords, frequent changes, and is enforced.
* Desktops use screen savers and they are password protected.
* Unless they are required to be left on for security scanning or backup purposes, desktops are powered down at night.
* Desktops have appropriate anti-malware applications installed.
* Company policy regarding appropriate use of the Internet is in place and enforced.
* Data is backed up and media is stored securely off-site.
* Encryption is implemented and in use for the storage of sensitive information.
* Procedure is in place for denying access to personnel upon termination of employment.
Read the full article over at my Security Corner blog: [url=http://itknowledgeexchange.techtarget.com/security-corner/security-baseline-for-small-businesses/:1yc2emyl]Security Baseline for Small Businesses[/url:1yc2emyl].
And while you're at it, check out my latest status as an expert author for Ezine Articles: [url=http://askthegeek.kennyhart.com/index.php/2009/03/13/new-articles-released-through-ezinearticles-site/:1yc2emyl]Articles Released at EzineArticles Site[/url:1yc2emyl].
By the way, let's play "Where is Dave?"
Oy, big feller.....never mind playing 'Where is Dave'...what about 'Where has Ken been?' Seems to me, you bin M.I.A. too!!
Have a look at this thread started on 27th February where I popped you a question.......no, not that question!!
Can't see a reply from you there......thank goodness Mindblower was on the ball!!
Nice to have you back...
August 11, 2011
Oy, big feller.....never mind playing 'Where is Dave'...what about 'Where has Ken been?' Seems to me, you bin M.I.A. too!! [/quote:2fm2cq59]
Well, I don't monitor all of the forum topics, just the one on Security... Sorry, but I never knew you asked me a question. I've gone over and taken a look at it, posted a comment.
Most Users Ever Online: 188
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 10
Administrators: Jim Hillier, Richard Pedersen, David Hartsock, Marc Thomas
Moderators: Judy Novotny, Jason Shuffield, Mail Poet