Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
sp_topic_old
Dell Optiplex 780 question...
myleswest
161 Posts
(Offline)
December 7, 2019 - 11:27 pm

I have an older Dell Optiplex 780 running Windows 7 Pro. I love the machine and windows 7 but it's starting to have a few "quirks" and showing it's age. I do not have the original CD it came with.
Question...Is it possible to buy a Dell 780 CD that will reset it to the original factory settings like it was when new ? Is there such a CD and if so, where would I purchase one? I searched the Dell website but could not find it. Any advice would be appreciated, Thank you.

dandl
Lexa, AR
740 Posts
(Offline)
December 8, 2019 - 1:02 am

Hi Myles
My first ? would be, why you would want to reset to factory settings? All you would be getting is a bunch of software
that would still not work. You could try Ebay and find a Retail version of W7 and install it, that way you would not have all the crapware that Dell put on the PC. You could also try the website " https://igetintoapc.com/ " and download a W7 Pro ISO and burn it to a CD and possibly use your key for activation.
Of course, if the machine is capable, it could be upgraded to W10, using your W7 key.
You do realize that W7 will be totally unsupported as of this January.
Tell me if it is a 32bit or 64bit PC and I will burn a CD for you and mail it to you.

myleswest
161 Posts
(Offline)
December 8, 2019 - 2:53 am

dandl said
Hi Myles
My first ? would be, why you would want to reset to factory settings? All you would be getting is a bunch of software
that would still not work. You could try Ebay and find a Retail version of W7 and install it, that way you would not have all the crapware that Dell put on the PC. You could also try the website " https://igetintoapc.com/ " and download a W7 Pro ISO and burn it to a CD and possibly use your key for activation.
Of course, if the machine is capable, it could be upgraded to W10, using your W7 key.
You do realize that W7 will be totally unsupported as of this January.
Tell me if it is a 32bit or 64bit PC and I will burn a CD for you and mail it to you.  

Wow that would be so helpful if you could send me a CD. It is 64 bit PC but I have tried to use the windows 7 CD that came with the machine 4 years ago from a guy on Ebay. But the CD Key never worked and even when I tried to find it using a "key finder" program the keys it found never worked. So I'm thinking when the guy "refurbished" it the key numbers got messed up. But that's just my thinking and I know very little.
I have attached an image of the CD that came with the machine but like I said...no Key seems to work. I would update to windows 10 but it's no longer free and if I have to install.
I would just forget about this machine but I am a senior and live on a limited income and so could not afford much better. Although I did see a Dell Optiplex 980 on Ebay that I would like to try to scrap up the ( $300.) money for. Anyway, here is my address in case you think the CD would help.....Dennis O'Brien 100 Navajo Dr. Unit 206 Bisbee, AZ. 85603. I can't thank you enough for offering your help. disk.jpgImage Enlarger

dandl
Lexa, AR
740 Posts
(Offline)
December 8, 2019 - 12:10 pm

That CD should reinstall W7 Pro on your PC. Their should be a COA sticker on that PC, if it hasn't been removed, with the proper product key for that PC. If the PC has been altered, like with a new MOBO, then that key may not work. You may have have to do a phone activation. If the PC is genuine Dell, you should not even have to activate again.
Be aware, W7 is not your best option, if you want to run Windows then W10 is about your only option. W10 can still be installed and activated using your W7 key.

W7-Genuine.PNGImage Enlarger

In order to run W10 you will have to be sure that W7 is a genuine copy. Right click on the computer icon and click on properties. This will give activation and W7 genuine data.

https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-free-upgrade-2018/ You can read about installing W10 using your W7 key here, read it very carefully.

Dell-Optiplex.PNGImage Enlarger

Do any of these resemble your PC?

Their are other options, if you wish to pursue them, one thing for certain W7 will become more unstable as time goes by. I still run W7, but it is only being used for a gaming platform for games I have purchased from GOG.
Please, if you can do a system image of W7, to have something to fall back on.
If it were my machine, I would dual boot with Linux, and leave W7 where it is.

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 663
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
Gohighlevelsnapshots
ardellamaragret
KamrynStark
mashley
emmaagro
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1940

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3173
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 21
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Scroll to Top

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!