Here is a quick quiz to determine how well (or badly) you are doing at maintaining a healthy system. The more questions you answer with “yes” (figuratively) the better you will score:
- Do you regularly run a junk file cleaner, such as Wise Disk Cleaner or PrivaZer? I would recommend once per month as an average.
- Do you regularly run a second-opinion malware scanner/remover, such as Malwarebyes Anti-malware (free)? I would recommend once per month as an average.
- Do you regularly run System File Checker (sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt) to check for system file corruptions? I would recommend every two weeks. When system file corruptions accumulate they will eventually reach a stage where System File Checker will not be able to fix them.
- Do you keep all your installed software up-to-date? There are several good free software updaters, I would recommend PatchMyPC.
- Do you find unknown software installed on your PC and have no idea where it came from? Most likely that has happened when you installed a known software and, because you didn’t check through the installation process properly, some other software has been piggy-backed.
- Do you pre-check the reputation of software you intend to download and install?
- Do you check downloaded software through a scanner prior to installing, either online through Virus Total or locally through a second-opinion scanner?
- Do you regularly back up all personal data — documents, pictures, music, etc.?
- Do you regularly create system image backups? I would recommend Aomei Backupper Standard or Macrium Reflect Free.
- Do you perform steps 1,2,3 and 4 prior to creating system image backups?
If you answered “yes” to all 10 questions, you are doing brilliantly, so give yourself a pat on the back
- Yes to 6- 9 questions and you aren’t doing too badly
- Yes to 3- 5 questions you need to try harder
- Yes to 1- 2 questions you really need to try harder
- Yes to zero questions, sell your PC
The above is meant as a bit of fun but it also represents a fair indication of how well you are doing with maintaining and safeguarding your system. And yes, I perform all those steps regular as clockwork. 🙂