In this article, I’ll show you how to save Gmail email to your PC in PDF format.
One of the reasons I tend to stick with using an installed email client is because it provides a very easy method to save specific email to the hard drive as files. That and because I am an old stick-in-the-mud. However, there are several methods to save Gmail to your PC, one of which is to download the email using Google Takeout which will create a bulk archive of all your email in MBOX format. However, the method we are looking at today is how to save specific individual email as a PDF.
One of the problems with saving email to a PC is that they are generally saved in a proprietary format. However, because PDF is a universal format, there are no such problems with readability. For example, I save all email associated with purchases — such as invoices and receipts — in a separate folder cleverly named “Purchases”. 🙂 By saving these types of email in PDF format you can easily send them as an email attachment for proof of purchase in (say) a warranty claim if the goods are faulty, or for any reason, the goods need to be returned. It also provides a simple way of maintaining a record of purchases and payments, as well as helping to avoid any potential loss of functionality by exceeding Gmail’s 15 GB limit.
Saving Gmail Email As A PDF
It’s such a simple process that this part is probably going to be shorter than my somewhat lengthy intro.
- Log in to Gmail and open the email you want to save as a PDF
- Next, with the email open, click the Print all icon at the top far right of the window:
- Another window will then open with the print options
- Make sure the option under Printer is set to Save as PDF. If not, use the associated dropdown menu to select it
- Choose your preferred options including the number of pages. When satisfied, click the Save button and a File Explorer window will open
- Choose a location to save the file and you can also change the name to something more suitable if you wish
- Finally, click the Save button and your email will be saved as a PDF in the location/folder specified
This is a very simple and straightforward method to keep a record of all those important emails on your PC in the universal PDF format. There are no limits to how this can be utilized. You could, for example, create a main folder labeled “Gmail Emails” and then a set of sub-folders for things such as purchases, bills, projects, etc.
Do you save important email to your PC? If so, what method do you use?
*You also might like: