If Edge is not your primary/default browser, you should disable “Startup boost”. Read on to find out how.
The Edge browser includes a feature called “Startup boost” which preloads the browser’s background processes whenever you boot your device. The preloading of these resources will improve the browser’s startup time plus the loading time of any pages you have set to open when Edge starts, which is a good thing if Edge is your default browser. However, if Edge is not your default browser, it will unnecessarily consume system resources and impact mobile devices’ battery time.
So, if Edge isn’t your default/primary browser you should disable this setting. Here’s how:
Disabling Startup Boost In Edge
- Click the three little horizontal dots at the far right of the address bar to open the browser’s menu
- Click Settings and then, in the left-hand panel, click System and performance
- Now, in the main panel under “System”, you will see the “Startup boost” option
- Switch it to Off and, while you’re at it, also switch off the setting to “Continue running background extensions and apps when Microsoft Edge is closed”
- You also might like: 10 Steps To Help Speed Up Windows 10
Bonus Tip: Disabling SysMain Service
If you’re working with a machine with somewhat limited resources you might also consider disabling the SysMain service. SysMain was previously known as “Superfetch” and is designed to help speed up the loading of most commonly used applications by preloading those frequently used applications into RAM.
In most modern machines with adequate resources, you probably won’t even notice SysMain’s impact. However, for machines with limited resources, or if SysMain is causing high resource usage, disabling the service can help speed up the system. Disabling SysMain is perfectly safe and will not have any detrimental effect… here’s how:
- Open the Start menu and type services
- Click Services App in the list of results
- Locate the SysMain service and double-click it
- Click the Stop button to stop the service
- Expand the drop-down menu associated with “Startup type” and select Disabled
- Click Apply/OK
Now restart the computer and you’re all done.