Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
Ozbloke, Roxio 2011 CinePlayer driving me nuts
Shirl
Gallatin, TN 37066
50 Posts
(Offline)
March 28, 2011 - 5:16 pm

Every time I open something up in Windows Media Play, Roxio CinePlayer tries to open and I get a message "Please wait while Windows configures Roxio CinePlayer.

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
March 28, 2011 - 7:27 pm

Hey Shirl - Yes, that would drive anyone nuts!! This sounds very much like left over registry entries and/or dll's. Revo is a very good uninstaller but sometimes it will not get everything.

Do you have an installation CD/disc or did you download the files from the net??

[u:3j1sesi6]If you have the installation CD[/u:3j1sesi6]: Try running the CD again and see what options are available. Many include post installation options to Change, Modify or Remove components.

[u:3j1sesi6]If you downloaded from the net (or those options are not available on the CD)[/u:3j1sesi6]:

First: Here is a solution I located on another forum. Several users with the same issue responded that this had fixed the problem. However, I can't [for obvious reasons] test this solution nor guarantee it:

*Download Codec Tweak Tool from [url=http://www.free-codecs.com/Codec_Tweak_Tool_download.htm:3j1sesi6]HERE.[/url:3j1sesi6]

*Select the options 'Detect broken codecs' & 'Detect broken DirectShow filters' and run it.

*Delete any entries it finds related to broken codecs and filters.

[u:3j1sesi6]If none of that works[/u:3j1sesi6] - you will need to manually remove/delete any remnants:

Use the search feature to locate every mention of Cineplayer. Type that [cineplayer] into the search dialogue box and search everywhere. Delete all items found.

Next, you will need to search through the registry, locate all references to Cineplayer and remove/delete them. This can be a very long winded process, depending on how many registry entries are involved; Windows Registry Editor cannot display all relevant entries in one window and then delete them en masse. You will need to search, locate and delete one at a time. It is also dangerous, one needs to be careful to delete only those entries which are associated with Cineplayer. Removing just one unrelated item could cause serious issues. Whatever you do, make sure to backup the registry before commencing any editing.

There is 3rd party software which will allow you to; search for, list and delete all associated registry entries in one go but there are no free ones that I know of, only shareware/commercial.

If you want to go ahead and attack the problem using Windows Registry Editor I can supply you with a step by step guide, including backing up the registry beforehand.

NOTE: Many vendors provide 'special' programs to completely uninstall their stubborn software but in this case I could not locate anything from Roxio.

Wow...almost a complete novel!!! LOL

Cheers (and hugs) Shirl........Jim

Shirl
Gallatin, TN 37066
50 Posts
(Offline)
March 29, 2011 - 3:52 pm

Thanks Jim. I printed your novel (LOL) so I can have it to follow the instructions. Sometimes a novel is needed for some things, especially for someone like me to understand. I will read this over and follow your advice on everything. I did do a search for CinePlayer before I did my post and it was just showing a few things and I deleted them off but it did not help. I was just using the search companion and not Windows Registry Editor. I am sure there are other places it is in here since it is still popping up but I am afraid to delete anything I don't understand what it is without your help. From experience I know I can royally mess things up by myself.
Yes I do have the CD for Roxio 2011. I will run it first to see what I can find out with it.

Hugs, you are a sanity saver,

Shirl

Shirl
Gallatin, TN 37066
50 Posts
(Offline)
March 29, 2011 - 6:22 pm

OK Jim, here is where we are now. I downloaded Codec Tweak Tool from the link you gave me. Before running it I put the Roxio 2011 CD in and there were 2 options, Roxio Creator 2011 install and Roxio Creator 2011 content. I chose content but before it finished I was afraid it was going to install the whole thing instead of showing me what the contents were so I canceled it. Then I ran the Codec Tweak Tool the way you instructed and a lot of stuff came up. I deleted everything it showed. It seems like it fixed it. At least it fixed CinePlayer from popping up. But everything on add and remove programs is showing the same with no option to remove. It still looks exactly like the capture I sent. Do you think we should wait and see if any more problems come up or should we use the Windows Registry Editor and find what is still there. Of course I will desperately need your help for this.

Thank you Jim, not only are you a sanity saver, you are a genius,

Hugs,
Shirley

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
March 29, 2011 - 9:01 pm

Shirl - Those items in Add/Remove Programs look like they are just setup/execute files. The actual programs are not installed and that is why you are getting no information re the "Size" and there is no option to remove them. In other words, they are of no concern.

This, in my opinion, is what has happened:
When you installed Roxio, it set file associations to play media through Cineplayer. When you uninstalled Cineplayer those associations were not removed. Now when you tried to play something, because the file associations were still in place, the software continued to look for Cineplayer to play the media but Cineplayer was gone. That's why you were getting error messages.

The Codec Tweak Tool has identified those broken file associations (that led nowhere) and helped you remove them.

So I suggest we stop right there, all should now be good. If, however, you have any further issues, just get back to me and we can go through the registry.....no worries mate! (that's a fair dinkum Aussie saying)

Cheers and Hugs.......Jim

Shirl
Gallatin, TN 37066
50 Posts
(Offline)
March 30, 2011 - 12:13 am

Thank you Jim, that sounds fine to me. Actually though the reason I uninstalled it was because I was already getting that message and it was driving me nuts. Uninstalling it just didn't stop it so I had to holler "Help". Since I followed your expert advice though and am not having any problems I am happy as a lark. And the fair dinkum Aussie saying, "no worries mate" sounds good to me.

God Bless and Cheers to you too mate,

Shirl

Sunlitspirit
1 Posts
(Offline)
November 6, 2011 - 1:12 am

[color=#408000:2njjh85v]I've followed your instructions, I deleted everything I could find. Roxio Cineplayer will randomly try to install itself still...any suggestions or the name of any of the programs you know of? I can give you my e-mail if need be. Thanks for your help so far!

~Bri[/color:2njjh85v]

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 666
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
blutsband
cyberguy
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1942

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3179
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 16
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Exit mobile version

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!