Register Lost password?
sp_topic_old
HP 7310 all in one Printer scanner will not work - TrayApp is missing
Shirl
Gallatin, TN 37066
50 Posts
(Offline)
September 2, 2012 - 9:53 pm

I was trying to use my fax machine on my printer and it would not work so I tried to uninstall it so I could re-install it and I uninstalled something wrong. I figured I needed to uninstall everything so when I tried to uninstall the imaging device I got a warning but went ahead and uninstalled it anyway. Now even my scanner does not work. I keep getting a message "the feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.  

Mindblower
Montreal, Canada
666 Posts
(Offline)
September 4, 2012 - 10:58 am

Have you tried to re-install your software from scratch, as if it was never installed before? Try, as it's worked for me using Brother software. You might even have a repair / modify feature once you try the re-install, Mindblower!

"For the needy, not the greedy"

Shirl
Gallatin, TN 37066
50 Posts
(Offline)
September 23, 2012 - 1:29 pm

Mindblower said
Have you tried to re-install your software from scratch, as if it was never installed before? Try, as it's worked for me using Brother software. You might even have a repair / modify feature once you try the re-install, Mindblower!

I wanted to let you know that I did answer this but guess I did something wrong because when I came back in a few days later I realized what I had posted was not here. I have been sick for quite a while and have not really felt like messing with trying to get this fixed so finally just had a PC restore done. I am working at  home for my son in law and he suggests I get another computer so I can use one for personal and one for working. Of course I will only have to get the modem because I will be able switch from one to the other. So now I do have another question. I love windows XP so I definately do not want to get rid of this computer but I know that now I will have to get windows 7. I can also get windows 8 for just $14.00 more. Which do you recommend that I do.?

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
September 23, 2012 - 4:23 pm

Hey Shirl - Windows 7 or Windows 8... now that's a question and a half!!

I lean toward Windows 7 for you. One reason is the jump from XP straight to Windows 8 is going to create a greater learning curve. Another is that Windows 7 would, in my opinion, be more suited as a 'work' machine. Finally, Windows 7 is a proven stable operating system fully supported by drivers and software - Windows 8 has yet to be tried and tested in a mass deployment situation - historically, all new operating systems have experienced teething problems to some extent or the other. Plus, when it comes to updating drivers and software, hardware manufacturers and software developers are notoriously tardy.

That's just my opinion of course, Mindblower and others may have an entirely different take. I'm going to ask Dave to respond here and see what he thinks.

Cheers... Jim

David Hartsock
1117 Posts
(Offline)
September 23, 2012 - 9:58 pm

Well, no matter what you buy in the next 30 days it will have windows 7 installed - no if's, and's, or but's. Microsoft is offering $15 upgrades to Windows 8 for those who purchase between now and October 26th and most manufacturers will cover that fee in one form or another.

Windows 7 will be incredibly familiar to you. The Start Menu will look a little different, but for the most part Windows 7 functions just like XP, but with a shiny new coat of paint on the outside and some major improvements under the hood.

Windows 8 is (basically) an extension of Windows 7 with a completely redesigned Start Menu that uses a full screen - hence it's name, Start Screen - to further the usefulness of the old Start Menu and more substantial changes under the hood. Windows 8 is also the first OS to natively support true 4k sectors, which will be more important in the future as the storage industry continues its move to 4k sectors for speed, dependability, and reliability (Win7 and Vista use something called 512e, which is a stop-gap method). Windows 8 is also the first OS to truly support SSD drives in a manner that is completely automated for the user.

Windows 7 offers limited support for very old 16-bit software where Windows 8 does not support 16-bit programs at all. This isn't of much concern for any software from the last 5 or 6 years.

Windows 8 includes the new WinRT runtime so it can run all of the new programs written for Windows 8 and there are hundreds added each week (these are full screen programs similar (at the moment) to what you would see on a smart phone).

Windows 8 has the best recovery options of any Microsoft operating system to date, of course a good backup plan on Win 7 is equally effective.

The Windows 8 interface will find its' way to most of Microsoft's other devices in the near future.

That said, Windows 7 is an exceptional and proven operating system and anything you buy today will have it installed. What I would suggest is getting the most powerful computer you can find in your budget today. That will give you time to work with Windows 7 and see how you like it. No one will force you to upgrade to Windows 8 on October 26th (or ever)! If you are happy with Win7 just keep it.

If you are reasonably computer savy and up for change you can use the Activation Backup and Restore tool(https://davescomputertips.com/2011/08/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-7-without-activation-on-your-oem-computer/) to save the Win 7 activation and a disk image to an external drive to backup your Windows 7 installation and do the upgrade. If you don't like it you can return to Win7 with little to no trouble.

I think you'll find Windows 7 is more like XP than you imagine. I also think you'll like it.

Mindblower
Montreal, Canada
666 Posts
(Offline)
October 3, 2012 - 5:23 pm

Shirl, I'm sorry no one was able to reply back with a suitable printer solution.  As for operating systems, XP expires in April 2014, giving you plenty of time to still use the proven o/s. 

Yes, it's sad and true that currently Windows 7 is your better option, as 8 is less friendly to desktop users (and requires a higher learning curve).

PS:  Don't let low prices suck you into getting something that you might regret.  I look at this as a marketing gimmick to boost their user numbers, Mindblower!

"For the needy, not the greedy"

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 666
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
blutsband
cyberguy
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1942

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3179
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 42
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Scroll to Top

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!