Forum Options

Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
Vista OS, C partition size increases by 100MB after each log
milo499
3 Posts
(Offline)
November 18, 2011 - 8:45 pm

My computer is using Vista Home Premium. After all the installation the C: partition size is app. 22 GB. But now I found that after each time I go on line ( Internet) the size of C: partition increases exactly by 100 MB.The size goes up to about 34 GB from 22 GB and after that when I update the Win Vista with the latest updates the size goes back to the original ( app. 22 GB ).
Can any one advise me what is causing this. The computer is working perfectly all right. Boot time is normal, shut off time is normal.
Pl. advise
milo499

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
November 21, 2011 - 6:07 am

Hey Milo - Not quite sure what you mean...sorry.

Is the 22GB the amount of used space on the hard drive? How do you know it is increasing by exactly 100MB each time you go online - where are you getting that information from?

What security software do you have installed? Have you run scans to check for malware?

Cheers...Jim

milo499
3 Posts
(Offline)
November 22, 2011 - 7:35 am

22 GB is the size of used area of C partition after a fresh install. I check the size of C: partition by Rt. clicking on the C partition (in My Computer) and clicking on the properties. After each Log the size incteases by 0.1 GB ( 100MB). Using AVG Anti Virus . I did Scan (through scan , not quick scan) several times. Do you suspect a Malware. Will you advise a format & fresh inatall.
milo499

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
November 22, 2011 - 8:10 am

Milo - This is a very strange one indeed. Sorry, but I have no idea what might be causing this - the exact 100MB each time is highly unusual. And it doesn't make sense that the size should go back to 22GB after applying Windows updates - the updates should actually increase the amount of used space, not decrease it.

I am wondering if this might simply be Windows incorrectly reporting the amount of used space on the drive - the fluctuations are certainly puzzling. I doubt it is malware, especially if it is a very new install - but you never know, malware can cause some strange issues.

How long ago did you perform the clean install? If it was just recently and you are not going to lose too much work, yes I would suggest starting over again. You could try running [b:315tgkrr]sfc /scannow[/b:315tgkrr], and/or [b:315tgkrr]chkdsk /f[/b:315tgkrr], but I have a feeling that may be a waste of time.

Sorry I can't be more help - you've got me absolutely stumped.

Cheers...Jim

David Hartsock
1117 Posts
(Offline)
November 22, 2011 - 9:54 am

Milo, would you mind uninstalling AVG?

If it were me I would uninstall AVG for a variety of reasons, but they have been known to have some very large updates and I would like to eliminate that as a suspect. You can install Microsoft Security Essentials (it's free) from http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... essentials in the mean time.

I would then set about deleting all traces of AVG (program files, program data, appdata local, appdata local low, appdata roaming, etc.

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
November 22, 2011 - 3:15 pm

The 'AVG Remover' tool to completely remove AVG from the computer can be downloaded here: http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

milo499
3 Posts
(Offline)
November 23, 2011 - 7:31 am

Thanks for going through the problem of my computer with Win Vista Home Premium. ( C: partition used size increases after every LOG by 100MB )
This is for your kind information what I did to surmount the issue so that if someone else face similar problem you can advise accordingly..
I checked up the security status of my computer ( control panel--? Security-? check this computers security status )
I found Fire wall ON, Malware protection ON , Other security setting OK.
I clicked on Window Defender tag and found that it is turned OFF.
I clicked on the link to turn it ON , checked for updates and Updated it. Then I clicked in on the SCAN tag and did a custom SCAN of my C: partition.
VOILA , the size of my used C: partition reduced to 24,2 GB from 29 GB.
I logged again to see if the partition size increases. No it did not. I rebooted my computer.
Checked again the security status of my computer and founf the Window Defender is switched OFF. I switched it on again as per the steps mentioned above. Logged ON & found no increase in the size of C: partition..
So now after every boot I have to manually select the Window Defender ON.So the problem is solved . Is there a way of switching the Window Defender ON permanently. I feel some toolbar of some program is switching it OFF during every boot.
I will remove AVG & install MS Security Essentials
Milo499

David Hartsock
1117 Posts
(Offline)
November 23, 2011 - 10:51 am

[quote="milo499":jvy9zlc6]So now after every boot I have to manually select the Window Defender ON.So the problem is solved . Is there a way of switching the Window Defender ON permanently. I feel some toolbar of some program is switching it OFF during every boot.
I will remove AVG & install MS Security Essentials
Milo499[/quote:jvy9zlc6]
Honestly you don't need Defender if you have a decent antivirus, which MSE is. Once you install MSE do a FULL scan (not quick) and let us know the results. I'll hold off on the Defender issue until later, if that's OK.

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 664
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
travishead60
Gohighlevelsnapshots
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1941

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3177
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 30
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Exit mobile version

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!