Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
eMachine Model 6409 W10 Upgrade
dandl
Lexa, AR
740 Posts
(Offline)
September 7, 2015 - 9:58 am

Upgraded this machine to W10 for my Son over the weekend. The specs on this machine are a P4 531/3GHZ processor with the ATI Radeon Express 200 onboard graphics. This machine originally had Windows XP Media Center Edition installed and has progressed up to W10.
While the upgrade went smoothly with the 32bit Media Creation Tool, there was one bottleneck. While the onboard graphics was good enough for XP, it just wasn't working well with W10. So, I installed an Nvidia GeForce GT620 that has been collecting dust and this alone changed the machine into a very usable machine.
While some of these machines can be upgraded one may have to install other hardware to make the W10 upgrade work well. Yes, I know some of these machines will not even have a graphics card slot and in that case I would seriously question if an upgrade to W10 is feasible.

dandl
Lexa, AR
740 Posts
(Offline)
September 9, 2015 - 10:13 pm

Before I call it a night I would like to do an update on this eMachine's progress. I know I will probably get a "I told you so" but anyway one lives and learns.
This machine had a very slow startup time of over 4 minutes with W10 so I rolled back to W8.1 and it had a even slower startup time of over 5 minutes. After doing a few posts with DCT members and trying and blaming different things, I finally did something right.
This machine had an old 250GB Pata/Eide drive installed. I finally was able to put my hands on a 500GB Sata drive and I cloned W8.1 to this drive and use it for the boot drive. Bingo, startup time now is 48 seconds. Will try to reinstall W10 tomorrow.

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
September 10, 2015 - 3:33 am

Actually, it's good to hear confirmation of what we suspected Daniel.

As we say in Oz... good on ya mate!

Marc Thomas
Argentina
271 Posts
(Offline)
September 10, 2015 - 7:18 am

I like your perseverance Daniel, job well done!
Out of curiosity, how much ram has the machine got?

dandl
Lexa, AR
740 Posts
(Offline)
September 10, 2015 - 7:53 am

It is maxed out at 2GB. Am on the final leg of reinstalling W10, hopefully with better results. Will do an update post later today. Thank you for the confidence builder.

dandl
Lexa, AR
740 Posts
(Offline)
September 10, 2015 - 2:17 pm

Ok, this is the eMachine I have been working with the past few days. It is now running a 32bit W10 OS with a startup time of about 1 minute. Let's start by saying that installing W10 on a machine with up to date hardware and installing to a machine with older hardware can get, let's say frustrating. I am sure their are other machines out their that probably will meet the same specs as this one, maybe a different brand but with the same basic hardware, that someone might be considering to upgrade to W10. BTW this machine had already been upgraded to W8 when it was cheap and then to W8.1. That is when the ram got maxed out to 2Gig's.
This machine ran on the hardware that was already installed, being the onboard graphics and the Pata/Idie HDD and the 300W PSU, but to truly benefit from the W10 upgrade, other hardware needs to be installed, etc. Graphics Card, Sata HDD, Ram if it is below 1Gig and PSU if it is below 300W.
In our throw away society I doubt if many will attempt this upgrade but I am not the throw away type and will try to make it work.
Their are some very knowledgeable people hear at DCT that would be very willing to help someone if you do decide to upgrade an older PC. Daniel.
Marc Thomas
Argentina
271 Posts
(Offline)
September 10, 2015 - 2:51 pm

I find that on older machines adding a GPU makes a big difference, even if it's only a 256 or 512Mb card because you're not having to share the memory.
Upgrading and squeezing every last drop out of older machines is what I do for a living, although the machines I'm putting together nowadays are usually nothing less than a dual core/ddr 2 configuration.
Argentina may be a basket case economically, but its people know from bitter experience to never throw stuff away and more to the point, repair stuff.
It seems it's rubbed off on me, which is no bad thing of course.

dandl
Lexa, AR
740 Posts
(Offline)
September 10, 2015 - 3:55 pm

You are exactly right my friend. The GPU I put in that machine was a little over kill but I wasn't using the thing. I do believe the Sata drive helped more than anything.

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 666
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
blutsband
cyberguy
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1942

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3179
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 19
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Exit mobile version

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!