sp_TopicIcon
Dell Optiplex 360
dandl
Lexa, AR
740 Posts
(Offline)
November 26, 2015 - 10:59 pm

DSCN0177.JPGImage Enlarger

Upgraded this old Dell to W10 for a friend today. This PC had W7 installed with a volume license and wasn't in the best of shape with all the malware and trojans that was on the machine. When W10 was installed it refused to activate but after a PC reset activation was good. The old machine is really running better with W10 than with W7.

dandl
Lexa, AR
740 Posts
(Offline)
December 3, 2015 - 2:55 pm

I need some help!!! What would be the way to add wifi to this PC. I was thinking of maybe a USB dongle from Netgear etc. The PC only has 2 PCI slots and I am not sure if W10 would even recognize a wifi card. I also am not sure of a USB dongle range?

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
December 3, 2015 - 6:17 pm

I would definitely go with a dongle, easily connected and transferable.

Range depends a lot on the signal source (router), routers signals have progressed through 802.11a/b/g/n and now ac (the very latest), progressively improving.

A newer router supporting 802.11n will have a far better reach than an older a/b/g router. My wife's PC connects via 802.11n dongle about 5 meters from the router and signal strength is off the map.

dandl
Lexa, AR
740 Posts
(Offline)
December 3, 2015 - 10:08 pm

OK Jim, the lady that owns this PC has internet with AT&T Uverse. The modem is located in the adjacent room, separated by a closet, where it is connected to a Play Station. The modem has five more ethernet connections that can be utilized but only if a wire is ran. From where the PC will be located it is probably 25 feet through the closet and to the modem. The closet was my main concern about the dongle range. Do you think the wifi signal could be acquired through the closet walls?

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
December 3, 2015 - 10:14 pm

Sorry Daniel but AT&T Uverse means nothing to me. Is that a cable service?

You mention a modem but not a router. Is it a modem/router combined? If not, is there a router for wifi?

dandl
Lexa, AR
740 Posts
(Offline)
December 3, 2015 - 10:49 pm

att U-verse is broadband internet via the phone line. The phone line is routed to the att modem/router with connections by either ethernet cables or wifi. So do I run cat6 ethernet cable, which I know works, or try to set up a wifi connection.
By comparison, my internet is provided by Suddenlink which is connected to the modem and then connected to my router and it is connected to three more PC's and somtimes the wifi is utilized

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
December 3, 2015 - 10:58 pm

Okay, so it's a modem/router combo.

Provided it supports 802.11n, which I'd be surprised if it didn't, I can't see any problems with 25', even through walls. Just make sure that the dongle supports the same format.

Our wifi network at home is 802.11n and all our wifi devices work fine right throughout the home, through multiple walls and all.

dandl
Lexa, AR
740 Posts
(Offline)
December 3, 2015 - 11:18 pm

Thanks Jim, I will pass the info to the owner and see how they wish to proceed. I am sure it has 802.11n, even my old router has that. I know they are using the wifi with at least one laptop and I don't know how many phones. Thanks Daniel. Hope to see you monday night.

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 666
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
blutsband
cyberguy
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1942

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3179
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 52
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Scroll to Top

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!