Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
100% DISK usage
ajs1017
73 Posts
(Offline)
June 16, 2020 - 1:02 pm

So, I installed the new SSD.

I also downloaded the latest ISO 2004 version WIN10 which actually was installed on my laptop as a virtual DVD. In other words I did not have a DVD in the computer at the time of the ISO download. It just came in that way under my C Drive settings. So, from there I made a copy and put it on my Flash Drive.

However, when I tried to reboot with the Flash Drive the only thing I received was a flashing dash at the left hand top of the screen.

Any ideas?

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
June 16, 2020 - 7:15 pm

Sounds like you didn't create a BOOTABLE USB flash drive. You can't just copy the ISO to a USB flash drive, it needs to be made bootable. You can use a free portable software called Rufus to do that: https://rufus.ie/

Rufus is pretty straight forward but if you need any help using it just post here.

ajs1017
73 Posts
(Offline)
June 17, 2020 - 10:16 am

I tried using Rufus Portable and it was downloading and then I received this message:

Could not DOwnload the WiN10_2004_ENGLISH_X64.ISO

ERROR: The request timed out.

Thanks again for your support!

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
June 17, 2020 - 7:55 pm

Okay, did you try again? Was your internet connection fine?

Try downloading the ISO via this free and portable software: https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

Don't forget; the ISO must be the same edition (Home or Pro) as the original Win10 that was installed on that machine.

ajs1017
73 Posts
(Offline)
June 17, 2020 - 11:46 pm

Jim, I used the Media Creation tool and my system is back up.

Thank you so much for all your support.

Have a good day and God Bless!

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
June 18, 2020 - 12:35 am

That's really good to hear. Well done!

Best... Jim

ajs1017
73 Posts
(Offline)
June 18, 2020 - 12:57 pm

Celebrated a little too soon.

I am using the Desktop as we speak, but now coming up with message - Activate WIN10.

I found out that this occurs since I changed out the HDD. Since I received the Free version of WIN10 how do I get it activated w/o a digital license or product key?

Thanks again for your support!

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
June 18, 2020 - 7:08 pm

No, this will not happen because the hard drive has been changed. It will only happen if major components such as motherboard and/or CPU have been changed.

It will also happen if you do not install the exact same Windows edition as the old one. Home for Home, Pro for Pro.

Do you sign in with a Microsoft account?

ajs1017
73 Posts
(Offline)
June 18, 2020 - 10:45 pm

Yes, I had to create an MS account when I first came up.

Right now I am logging on with a PIN # that I created.

I hope this helps!

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
June 18, 2020 - 11:14 pm

Okay, then your digital license is automatically linked to your Microsoft account and, provided your original Windows 10 was activated, your new Windows 10 should automatically activate once you've signed in: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028407/windows-10-activate

Go to Settings > Update & Security > Activation and either post a screenshot or describe what is displayed.

Is there an option to "Activate"?

It would be highly unusual for activation to fail because of a new hard drive, I've never come across that situation myself and I've installed heaps of new hard drives.

ajs1017
73 Posts
(Offline)
June 19, 2020 - 12:03 am

What it is telling me is: I cannot activate Windows on this device as we cannot connect to your organizations activation server.

Also, I clicked on the Troubleshooting option and came up with this:

We found a WIN10 Home Digital license for this device running WIN10 Pro. To activate using this digital license you need to install WIN10 Home.

I really don't want to reinstall WIN10 at this time. I am thinking I did my system backup before I had the serious HDD issue, so I might want to install the AOEMI software, if I have no other choice.

I do see a number of options on the Internet in getting WIN10 activated for Free. Are any of these a true viable option at this time?

Thanks again for all the support! Have a good day and be safe!

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
June 19, 2020 - 12:19 am

Okay, that tells me 2 things:

1) The original operating system was installed and activated through an organization or company via bulk licensing. That machine has, at some time or another, been used in a corporate environment.

Did you buy the machine new? If so, was it used at work?

2) I told you on numerous occasions that you must install the exact same Windows 10 edition as was already installed - Home for Home, Pro for Pro. The original Windows 10 was the Home edition and you have now installed the Pro edition.

Anyway, unless you can connect that machine back through the original organization's server, your chances of a successful activation are next to zero.

ajs1017
73 Posts
(Offline)
June 20, 2020 - 1:03 am

Jim, I bought this PC at Best Buy and it was brand new. I have never used this PC at work. Could they have loaded a copy of WIN7 on my Desktop at the time from a corporate license?

I do see a number of options on the Internet in getting WIN10 activated for Free. Are any of these a true legal options at this time?

In the meantime can you assist me in getting my image restored via AOMEI?

Here is what happened - I created a bootable Flash Drive with the help of AOMEI Tech Support email. I rebooted into the AOMEI support options icons. From there I tried to do my restore and got to the point that it was looking for the Image File Name - image(*.adi or *.afi).

I cannot find those three char file extensions anywhere.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks again for all your assistance!

Have a good day and be safe!

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
June 20, 2020 - 2:02 am

I bought this PC at Best Buy and it was brand new. I have never used this PC at work. Could they have loaded a copy of WIN7 on my Desktop at the time from a corporate license?

Well that's totally weird. MS will usually only display that message when the OS has been activated in a corporate environment via bulk licensing. I suppose it's possible that Best Buy could have installed and activated via bulk licensing but that would be most unusual.

I do see a number of options on the Internet in getting WIN10 activated for Free. Are any of these a true legal options at this time?

I couldn't answer that because I have no idea what options you are seeing. Your best bet might be to phone MS's activation phone number and explain the situation. MS is being very lenient at the moment and is more likely than not to activate it for you. It still worries me though that you appear to have installed the wrong edition... i.e. Pro instead of Home.

I cannot find those three char file extensions anywhere.

Aomei Backupper saves the images in .adi format so forget any other file extensions, you are looking for the .adi file extension. Can you connect the external USB drive (where you saved the image) to a working computer and see if you can locate any files with the .adi file extension?

dandl
Lexa, AR
740 Posts
(Offline)
June 20, 2020 - 10:21 am

Hi Jim
If this PC came from Best Buy, then I would seriously doubt it had W10 Pro installed, unless it was a special order. Whether ajs1017, wants to or not, his best option is to reinstall with the Home edition of W10 to get his machine activated. He could then use Aomei to navigate to his image file and recover his documents, he would have to reinstall the free Aomei backup program. I have no idea where the Aomei image file is stored but I have had issues with the Aomei boot CD in not being able to find some drives, especially the big external dives, I have had to copy and paste the Aomei image file into a USB drive, that is big enough, and then use the boot CD. I also never use the Windows PE to create the boot CD, I always use the Linux ISO.

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 666
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
blutsband
cyberguy
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1942

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3179
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 50
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Exit mobile version

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!