Forum Options

Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
Excel 2010 "Find" function not working correctly
caduser
9 Posts
(Offline)
December 16, 2010 - 5:14 pm

I do compositing on assay certificates and need to delete the rows with duplicate sample values. They are color coded. In Excel '03, I can use Ctrl+f, and pick the Format button which allows me to "Choose format from cell." I can then pick a cell and it will have the color selected. I then highlight a column and hit the "Find All" button which then selects all the colored cells in that column and I can delete those rows.

When I try it in Excel '10 on Windows 7, I get the message "Microsoft Excel cannot find the data you're searching for." All the filter boxes are set the same in both versions of Excel.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can select them using wildcards for some of the values, but that requires running "Find" twice.

Thanks,

Ray

Carol Bratt
67 Posts
(Offline)
February 10, 2011 - 9:11 am

MS Excel allows you to sort data in your worksheets in many ways. One of the attributes that you can sort by is colors. Specifically, Excel allows you to sort by both the color of the cell and the color of the text within the cell.

Follow the steps below to learn how:

[list:1acfrej8][b:1acfrej8]Select [/b:1acfrej8]the [b:1acfrej8]data [/b:1acfrej8]that you would like to sort or select a cell within the data you would like to [b:1acfrej8]sort[/b:1acfrej8].
Display the [b:1acfrej8]Data [/b:1acfrej8]tab of the [b:1acfrej8]Ribbon[/b:1acfrej8].
Click the [b:1acfrej8]Sort Tool [/b:1acfrej8]in the [b:1acfrej8]Sort & Filter [/b:1acfrej8]Group.
The dialog box will display.
Using the[b:1acfrej8] drop-down [/b:1acfrej8]list in the [b:1acfrej8]Sort On [/b:1acfrej8]column, select either [b:1acfrej8]Cell Color [/b:1acfrej8]or [b:1acfrej8]Font Color[/b:1acfrej8], depending on your need.
Using the [b:1acfrej8]second [/b:1acfrej8]drop-down list in the [b:1acfrej8]Order [/b:1acfrej8]column, specify whether the color you selected should be on [b:1acfrej8]top [/b:1acfrej8]or [b:1acfrej8]bottom[/b:1acfrej8].
Should you want to sort by other colors, click the [b:1acfrej8]Add Level [/b:1acfrej8]button and repeat the steps above.

Click [b:1acfrej8]OK[/b:1acfrej8].[/list:u:1acfrej8]Your data should now be sorted by the specifications you chose.

caduser
9 Posts
(Offline)
February 10, 2011 - 9:18 am

Ms Bratt,

This is one of those cases where the "new & improved" features of the latest release of an application adds at least four steps to what I used to be able to do with two clicks.

Thanks,

Ray

Carol Bratt
67 Posts
(Offline)
February 10, 2011 - 9:23 am

Hi Ray,

New is not always better and change is [b:cm52lgrk]always [/b:cm52lgrk]difficult. You can, however, customize your QAT (Quick Access Toolbar) to shorten the process. You can create macros to help as well. You only have to do it once and then you always have it. I have always found it painful when the newer versions of MS Office are introduced. Version 2003 was like a comfortable pair of shoes for me. I knew all the shortcuts, quick keys, etc. and then the navigation all changed in version 2007 and then some more changes in version 2010. But eventually, after using it for a bit, you become accustomed. I will never forgive Microsoft from taking away the ability to customize MS Word though!

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 664
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
travishead60
Gohighlevelsnapshots
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1941

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3177
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 23
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Exit mobile version

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!