Forum Options

Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
SoftMaker Office 2008 - Now FREEware!!
Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
June 14, 2011 - 7:43 pm

SoftMaker Office 2008 (previously shareware) has been supplanted by the 2010 version and SoftMaker have now made the 2008 office suite permanently available free for everyone.

The SoftMaker office 2008 suite includes a Microsoft Word compatible word processor, a Microsoft Excel compatible spreadsheet plus a 'Presentations' component which allows access to PowerPoint files.

The program runs on all Windows from XP up (and Linux) and is a 59MB download.

[i:3ung6nb8]* The Microsoft Word compatible word processor that's so easy to use that you'll begin to wonder why you struggled with Microsoft Word for so long.
* The Microsoft Excel compatible spreadsheet that opens and saves all your Excel workbooks and comes with many time-saving functions.
* The presentation-graphics program that not only lets you access all your PowerPoint files, but also makes your life easier with many additional features.[/i:3ung6nb8]

SoftMaker Office 2008 can be downloaded free from [url=http://www.softmakeroffice.com/:3ung6nb8]HERE[/url:3ung6nb8].

Flying Dutchman
278 Posts
(Offline)
June 15, 2011 - 7:42 am

Hey Jim,

Got the email about this as I got SoftMaker Office 2008 through their last Christams offer.
Tried it out on my old laptop as it's a smaller install than MS Office. It didn't feel much lighter or faster than the respective MS programs, but here's a strange thing when I used SoftMaker with an existing .xls file:
1. it complained about the width of a couple of columns, and
2. more importantly, after I'd made a couple of minor changes to the file and saved it (as .xls and as their native format), the file ended up as twice the size of the original one.
I'm not sure if that happened because it was an existing MS .xls file, but it sure didn't look very encouraging.

Haven't tested the whole suite yet, so can't say how it behaves with other file types.

Cheers

I am human

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
June 15, 2011 - 8:06 am

Have never tried SoftMaker Office myself FD, I've always been lucky enough to have a recent copy of MS Office on hand; so can't really make any assessments.

SoftMaker do stress the compatibility with MS's products but, as with most things, I guess 100% compatibility would be difficult to achieve.

Anyway, it could be a nice alternative for those who cannot afford MS's expensive software.

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 666
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
blutsband
cyberguy
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1942

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3179
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 40
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Exit mobile version

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!