sp_topic_old
Samsung EVO 860, Windows 10 will not install into Sony Vaio
girldownunder
Western Australia
11 Posts
(Offline)
March 25, 2018 - 1:52 am

Hey all,

As it says, I've been trying to install Win 10 now for a couple of days and it simply isn't working. Rather than write it all again, I'll just link you to the Win 10 forum post I have going, with not too many replies, here.

I've been in contact with Samsung & it's being escalated but won't hear from them for a day or more at the soonest. Not sure how many hardware geeks are here at DCT, but thought I'd have a try.

Funnily, my EVO 750 does install, but even that isn't as "snappy" as my old 120GB Sandisk I first tested it with? The 860, however, just balks entirely.

And crazily, Samsung-- the biggest drive maker out there, does NOT have any sort of bootable media to test their drives with in order to RMA. I was like, "what?"

So, if you have any idea on how to troubleshoot this that you don't see as already being tried in that link- please do reply.

Cheers

Marc Thomas
Argentina
271 Posts
(Offline)
March 25, 2018 - 7:49 am

Hi Girldownunder
I found this at SuperUser:
"You need to create a partition that is smaller than the default. Looks like a corrupted drive -try 1 gb less and see if it works. Worked for me after nothing else worked on a crucial 750 gb drive."

I've seen others with a similar problem and they created smaller partitions than suggested, but clearly the post means 1Gb less than default. I'm not sure why this would work, especially since the 860 installs and runs ok on the other laptop.
Say you created a partition of 50Gb for the Win10 install? Is that worth a try?

girldownunder
Western Australia
11 Posts
(Offline)
March 25, 2018 - 9:49 am

Marc Thomas said
Hi Girldownunder

"...Looks like a corrupted drive...."

I'm thinking it's just some odd incompatibility between the EVO's and the AMD CPU/chipset. Both of the drives are bad on this Vaio-- the 750 was slow as an old dog compared to the el-cheapo Sandisk & the 860 is a no-show.

I suppose I can give the above a whirl-- and I never care "how" a fix works-- IF it works. Most of these oddball things never reoccur so don't worry about "why's"?

I think, in the end, I'm going to have to send my friend back with the drive for a swap. I'm hoping to get Samsung to issue an RMA via chat.

Thanks for that

girldownunder
Western Australia
11 Posts
(Offline)
March 25, 2018 - 10:24 am

I forgot: if I choose "new", and after I set the smaller size (as-in, chose to adjust partition vs. just clicking "next"), it hangs there. Dead in the water, so to speak. I'm pretty sure if I click "next", instead, it goes to the "getting Windows files ready" or such & hangs there. So, I can't partition it from the Win 10 installer- which I made through a MS laptop using their creator & new Windows 10 download (1709) & was verified. This allows me to install any other drive/PC combo-- just not the Vaio with the 860 (& the 750 is slug-speed).

I also, at one point, created the Sandisk install & then used that to create a system image out to an external HDD. When I then installed that 120GB image to the 250GB 860 & tried to extend the C: drive to the whole capacity- it errored. And it was slug-slow. It's in the other forum if you missed it.

How BS is it that Samsung don't provide a bootable drive test? This is just ridiculous.

Will see what tomorrow brings. I'll ring them if I don't hear by lunch time.

Thanks again, Marc

Marc Thomas
Argentina
271 Posts
(Offline)
March 25, 2018 - 5:50 pm

I'm the same. If a fix works, it doesn't really matter why or how - as long as it doesn't have a resonance cascade effect, as it were.
Could you not partition it in the other laptop and then give the install one last whirl?
Unless you're tired of flogging a dead horse already. Mind you, I usually carry on till it's time to throw it out of the window.

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 664
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
travishead60
Gohighlevelsnapshots
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1941

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3177
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 19
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Scroll to Top

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!