For the uninitiated; Audacity is arguably the most powerful, feature rich audio editing/recorder software on the planet. Audacity is free (open source) and cross platform – supporting Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
Audacity is the complete audio editor, including features such as; record live audio, convert tapes/records to digital, cut and splice, adjust volume up and down, merge tracks, add effects, adjust pitch and tone, remove hiss or hum, and much more.
A full range of features can be viewed HERE.
For all audiophiles, who would undoubtedly already have Audacity installed somewhere, a new version is now available for download – major changes in version 2.0 include:
- Many effects significantly improved, especially Equalization, Noise Removal and Normalize. Vocal Remover now included plus GVerb on Windows and Mac. VAMP analysis plug-ins now supported.
- Improved label tracks with Sync-Lock Tracks feature in the Tracks Menu. Multiple clips per track. Tracks and selections can be fully manipulated using the keyboard. Many more keyboard shortcuts.
- New Device Toolbar to manage inputs and outputs. Timer Record feature. New Mixer Board view with per-track VU meters.
- Automatic Crash Recovery in the event of abnormal program termination.
- Fast 8220;On-Demand” import of WAV/AIFF files if read directly from source. FLAC now fully supported. Added support for optional FFmpeg library for import/export of AC3/M4A/WMA and import of audio from video files.
Full release notes available HERE.
Audacity HOME PAGE – download: 19.8MB exe