Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
Error Code 0x800CCC0F
soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
October 29, 2008 - 4:31 pm

Dave,
I confirmed with Charter that ports 25 and 110 are not blocked. I will go back and verify (again) my pop and smtp addresses just to make sure. I will contact Trend just to see how to disable email scanning - hopefully they will walk me through the procedure. Or if nothing else, I can turn off the program and see if that allows mail to be sent. If it does then we know for sure that Trend is the problem. Will update you on more once I get these things done. Thanks to all.

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
October 30, 2008 - 9:19 am

Unistalled Trend Micro A/V. Restarted and tried to send mail. No luck. Still getting same error code.

David Hartsock
1117 Posts
(Offline)
October 30, 2008 - 10:22 am

Make sure you have selected a setting that is something along the lines of "My outgoing server requires authentication" and possible "use same settings as my incoming mail server". If you can find advanced settings there should be a timeout setting for the server, which is usually set at :30. You could bump that up to 1:00.

Another thing to check is your username. Some ISPs only require the part before the @ and some want the entire address.

I'm sorry this is such a PITA. It's difficult to crack these things sometimes when you don't have the computer right in front of you!

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
October 30, 2008 - 11:43 pm

Dave,
Followed your instructions and the server timeout setting was 1:00 so I bumped it up to 1:30. User names were checked and server authentication was checked. I tried mail and I was able to send a message but when I switched over to the wife's account --- she could receive but not send ---- same error code--- 0x800CCC0F. I am clueless at this point in trying to think of anything to try, but hopefully you might have a few tricks left in store. I am willing to try anything at this point. Most appreciated.

David Hartsock
1117 Posts
(Offline)
October 31, 2008 - 6:16 am

Are [b:2t0mh7f2]ALL[/b:2t0mh7f2] of the settings the exact same except for username and password?

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
October 31, 2008 - 6:32 pm

Dave,
Went back and checked the account information on both of us. I went block by block so I can safely say that all information is the same with the exception of userid and password.
This might be grasping for straws, but I noticed my modem (Charter's equipment) did not have the green "send" light illuminated in any form. Just a thought, but is it possible the modem is the problem and I need to change that?

David Hartsock
1117 Posts
(Offline)
October 31, 2008 - 7:49 pm

If it's a Motorola modem I believe it has 4 solid green lights and an amber light that flashes according to traffic. If you are missing one of those green lights your connection isn't working properly.

To fix that you unplug your modem (and router if you have one), wait about 1 minute and plug the modem back in. If you have a router wait until all the green lights on the modem are illuminated they plug the router in.

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
October 31, 2008 - 8:21 pm

Apologies for the interjection....again!
Just my thoughts Soldat but the difficulty here is that your emails are behaving normally and your wife's are not. Considering you are both using/sharing the same computer, same ISP, same internet connection/router, same security software, same email client with the same settings it would seem logical to disqualify all those from the equation. Doesn't leave much else I know but my point is we need to identify something or the other which is specific to your wife's account, different in some way to your account.

I can't think what that might be......sorry, not much help I know.

JIM

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
October 31, 2008 - 11:45 pm

Dave,
The modem provided to me is an Ambit. Lights on it are: power, usb, enet, send, recv, sync and ready. I will go through the power down - power up sequence again, just to make sure.

Ozbloke,
Just an update -- I spoke earlier on wishful thinking --- tried my email again tonight and I still cannot send anything. I know one message transmitted last night because I checked my wife's account and she did receive it. That success was very short lived -- right now I still can't send anything.

Chad Johnson
867 Posts
(Offline)
November 1, 2008 - 10:30 am

Are you able to only send to each other's accounts? If so...then it's something on the server level and nothing you'll be able to fix.

Maybe external emails have failed and internal emails are working (internal meaning mail on the same domain)?

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
November 1, 2008 - 5:13 pm

Okay, given that you cannot send emails either and considering what has already been suggested, tried and failed...I have to agree with Ziggie, all the evidence would point to a problem at the server end.

hope you get it sorted soon Soldat,
JIM

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
November 1, 2008 - 5:54 pm

The common denominator here is that we can both receive mail but neither can send. We are not totally in the dark because we can go to webmail.charter.net and send/receive there. I just have that gut instinct that this is something at the local machine level that somehow is not set right. My problem is not knowing where to look. I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you.

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
November 1, 2008 - 6:02 pm

Is it possible that I need to switch out the Charter modem? I know there is nothing I can do to it in terms of maintenance, but when trying to send mail the green light on it never comes on. Just a thought.

Chad Johnson
867 Posts
(Offline)
November 1, 2008 - 7:32 pm

based on the symptoms you've described, I would put the modem at the bottom of my list of suspects.

Do you have a firewall/router installed between the modem and the computers? That may be getting in the way of things.

Since it is affecting both accounts now (on separate computers, right?) it seems unlikely that it would be a settings issue, especially as you've been able to use yours and now it doesn't work.

Can you copy/paste the entire error message you get when you try to send? Or a screenshot, if you'd rather.

Thanks,
--zigg

soldat
93 Posts
(Offline)
November 1, 2008 - 10:46 pm

Here is the error code I got when trying to respond to a message from ozbloke:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Subject 'Re: Error Code 0x800CCC0F'
Server: 'smtp.charter.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 25
Secure(SSL): No

Further clarification -- we have both mail accounts on the same computer.

Ozbloke - I can receive --- send email to xxxxxx @ charter.net. (email address removed - Dave)

Thanks.
[soldat - I removed your email address. You really don't want to post that in the open. There are bots that search the internet for nothing but email addresses. If I would have left it you would start getting a ton of SPAM. I'll PM it to ozbloke - Dave H]

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 666
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
blutsband
cyberguy
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1942

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3179
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 33
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Exit mobile version

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!