Forum Options

Min search length: 3 characters / Max search length: 84 characters
Register Lost password?
New - Kingsoft Office Suite Free 2012
Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
September 7, 2011 - 9:12 pm

Kingsoft Office Suite has been around for some time now but has always been available only as shareware. This latest 2012 version however has been released as Freeware, which is good news indeed. The freeware ranks are not exactly over endowed with office suites, and even better news is that this one is a truly excellent alternative.

[url=http://www.kingsoftstore.com/kingsoft-office-freeware.html:24wc7c53]Kingsoft Office Suite Free 2012[/url:24wc7c53] incorporates all essential elements; Word Processor, Spreadsheet and Presentation. The suite is feature rich and fully [bilaterally] compatible with Microsoft Office; opening, reading and editing.

Additional features include:

* Built-in PDF Converter
* Multiple document tabs
* Document encryption
* Easily share files via email (built-in)
* Automatic spell checker

Now for some more good news; the download for Kingsoft Office Suite Free 2012 weighs in at a comparatively light 68.3MB.

IsaacH
1 Posts
(Offline)
September 17, 2011 - 12:35 pm

Free for a year sport, then you are cordially invited to insert the product key & all your documentation - PP, writer & spreadsheet are frozen & cannot be edited.

Cheers.

IsaacH

sirpaul1
22 Posts
(Offline)
September 23, 2011 - 10:56 am

These two statements from the website give me pause.

"Kingsoft Office 2012 is compatible with [b:3iwlvtz7][u:3iwlvtz7]all of the latest[/u:3iwlvtz7][/b:3iwlvtz7] Microsoft Office file formats."

"Better and Deeply Compatible with Microsoft Office Suite
Open, edit and save Word files : (97/2000/2003/2007/2010) .doc, .docx.
Open, edit and save Excel files: (97/2000/2003) .xls, .xlsx.
Open, edit and save Powerpoint files: (97/2000/2003) .ppt, .pptx."

Maybe it should be called "Kingsoft Office Suite 2003+"

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
September 23, 2011 - 6:44 pm

Yes, we have been checking this one out. We sent an email to Kingsoft Support asking for an explanation. They replied saying they would be issuing a statement on their site.
We just received email notice this morning that the statement is now up - you can read their statement HERE
[b:270yj19z][u:270yj19z]Daves Computer Tips Position[/u:270yj19z][/b:270yj19z]:
Following Kingsoft's publication of the statement, I downloaded and installed Kingsoft Office Free 2012, everything fine. I then put my system clock forward one year and tried to run the software again; the software would not function and I received this popup message:
[attachment=0:270yj19z]Kingsoft office.png[/attachment:270yj19z]
Note the references to "trial", and the last line: If you do not have a valid serial number, please[b:270yj19z][u:270yj19z] purchase[/u:270yj19z][/b:270yj19z] one...
So, this remains exactly the same and we believe it entirely contradicts the information provided by Kingsoft in their published statement.
I also read through the EULA and bring the following extracts to your attention:
[quote:270yj19z]Kingsoft reserves the rights to replace, revise and upgrade the

Mindblower
Montreal, Canada
664 Posts
(Offline)
September 23, 2011 - 11:24 pm

Thanks ozbloke for your detective work. We're all told to read the fine print, those EULA's that we simply click without ever reading because we give too much credit to the dealers (those card sharks), Mindblower!

"For the needy, not the greedy"

smallhagrid
22 Posts
(Offline)
November 16, 2011 - 6:48 pm

I am sad to see how this did not work out very favourably.

In defense of their work otherwise, I have & use the '09 version (from when it was a 100% giveaway someplace) and it is faster, lighter weight, and in all ways that I can tell much better than the M$ suite it has replaced so well for me.

Blangell
2 Posts
(Offline)
February 6, 2012 - 5:37 pm

I dont know if something has changed but Kingsoft Office Suite Free 2012 does seem to be free. I can't seem to get it to ask me for a product key or anything, even setting my clock a year and a half ahead no problem.

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
February 6, 2012 - 7:30 pm

Hi Blangell - Welcome to the forum.

Yes, it seems Kisgsoft has now cleaned up its act, mainly due to the large numbers of protests methinks. We (DCT) still do not support nor recommend the software however. Kingsoft's original intent remains and, in my opinion anyway, they are not to be trusted.

Cheers...Jim

Mindblower
Montreal, Canada
664 Posts
(Offline)
February 7, 2012 - 6:12 pm

Well Jim, I decided to check this place out again for myself. They seem to have cleared things up, like you do not need to register the FREE suite, and advancing the clock a year forward does not affect the software. They have a page which shows the differences between the free, proffessional (paid), and standard (paid), versions. http://www.kingsoftstore.com/windows/professional-office-difference.html

Initially I was impressed with the installation, no reboot required, and user control on how and what to install as well. The BUG appeared after repeated entries. Had to close their ad window each time. If they are giving you a chance to use a less featured suite, constantly in you face with a window, is NOT the way to treat people.

Their EULA is also changed. More informed for the user, but still not something worthy of consumer support - they hold all the cards.

OpenOffice is still the superior free suite, Mindblower!

"For the needy, not the greedy"

Jim Hillier
2700 Posts
(Offline)
February 7, 2012 - 6:26 pm

Thanks MB for the updated info. There remains no doubt in my mind that Kingsoft's original intent was to trick users into downloading the "Free" office suite so those who became dependent on it might later pay to keep it. And Kingsoft then repented and changed the rules only because they got well and truly caught out!

Thanks again...Jim

Forum Timezone: America/Indiana/Indianapolis
All RSSShow Stats
Administrators:
Jim Hillier
Richard Pedersen
David Hartsock
Moderators:
Carol Bratt
dandl
Jason Shuffield
Jim Canfield
Terry Hollett
Stuart Berg
John Durso
Top Posters:
Chad Johnson: 867
Mindblower: 664
carbonterry2: 356
Flying Dutchman: 278
grr: 211
Newest Members:
JudeLandry
benjaminlouis680309
drogers97439
travishead60
Gohighlevelsnapshots
Forum Stats:
Groups: 8
Forums: 20
Topics: 1941

Member Stats:
Guest Posters: 11
Members: 3177
Moderators: 7
Admins: 3
Most Users Ever Online: 2303
Currently Online:
Guest(s) 47
Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)
Exit mobile version

WHY NOT SUBSCRIBE TO OUR NEWSLETTER?

Get great content like this delivered to your inbox!

It's free, convenient, and delivered right to your inbox! We do not spam and we will not share your address. Period!